Question Windows slow after PSU upgrade

kcjawesomeness

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I changed my PSU from an unknown prebuilt to a Corsair RM750x.

I cable managed, plugged in a different SATA (the one that connects to the mobo) atleast I think I did. Plugged the 24 Pin, PCIe, and 4 Pin. The PC did work but I noticed it sat on a screen saying "Please Wait" for about 30-60 seconds, and my keyboard and mouse would occasionally turn off. After that it got me to the Sign in screen and then got to the desktop. I waited for another 3-5 minutes waiting for everything to load. The icons of the desktop showed up while the taskbar only had the windows icon, search bar, cortana, and the other stuff on the right side. I was just curious if it would actually work, so i clicked the windows icon. After I clicked the windows icon everything showed up and i safely exited windows and the computer turned off, right? No, the menu didnt appear and when I pressed the power button on my case it didnt turn off until 20 seconds later. After the monitor turned off and there was no signal detected the computer stayed on for about 15 more seconds before finally turning off.

kcjawesomeness

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I have never had slow windows after PSU change and that is a few times.
My PC had the problem of the turning off delay after there was no signal detected since before the PSU change but I already had plans to change it. Could this be a problem with my MOBO?
If this helps you here are my specs:

MOBO: MSI B150M Bazooka (5 years old)
CPU: i5-6402P (5 years old)
GPU: XFX RX 480 (blower without backplate also 5 years)
PSU: Corsair RM750X (brand new)

Windows worked completely fine before the change

Could it simply be that when you changed the PSUs, thus discontinuing +5VSB to the motherboard, you lost your RAM's settings so the board has to auto-detect each time?

Your board is quite old. Are you sure the CR2032 battery for BIOS backup has any charge left?

kcjawesomeness

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Could it simply be that when you changed the PSUs, thus discontinuing +5VSB to the motherboard, you lost your RAM's settings so the board has to auto-detect each time?

Your board is quite old. Are you sure the CR2032 battery for BIOS backup has any charge left?
What could I do to maybe fix the RAM's settings

The CR2032 Battery has never had a problem and has had no reason to be replaced. Could the PSU change be a possible reason to replace it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 sides to a bios chip. Half is hardwired and contains all the factory default settings, the instructions and data and uefi necessary to supply what you see onscreen at the bios screen. That does not require any sort of voltage to maintain, it's firmware that's always present, only gets rewritten by a bios update.

The other half is ram. It's softwired. It stores all the settings changes you make, all the directions you change, the clock time etc and Needs voltage to keep such memory alive. That's the job of the battery when the pc is powered off, the job of the psu when the pc is powered on.

When you power down, there's a switch that happens and the battery takes over from the psu, and vice versa. If the battery is toast, the pc reverts to factory default settings side automatically, which has no prior knowledge of whatever else is hooked up in the pc, it needs to go find all that. Same as hitting the reset button.

If the switch is stuck closed, the battery constantly is in use, not the psu, and will drain far faster than normal, until it's toast. If the switch is stuck open then the battery never engages, and changing the battery does nothing. Either way, that's a motherboard issue and nothing to do with battery or psu.

If the psu for some reason isn't supplying voltage for the takeover, you get the same results as switch closed, battery constant until dead.

There's multiple things that could be wrong, but the cheapest and easiest to start with after making sure the mains wires are fully seated (all 24 of them should not show any metal sticking out of the connector once installed) is changing the battery.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If it's indeed the battry (which makes a lot of sense) reason is time and usage. It's a battery. They discharge and die.

Waht RAM do you have? What specs?

What can be done about RAM is if it used to run on some XMP profile go into BIOS before system boots and see it has changed to default JEDEC clock/speed and set it as it was before the PSU swap.

Although if the battery is gone, as said above, if the standby power to the board is cut for a while (for any reason) the BIOS would revert to defaults again and you'd have to set RAM up again.

Anyway it won't hurt to change the battery.

The CR2032 Battery has never had a problem and has had no reason to be replaced.

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you already check it with a DMM?

It's a 5 year old motherboard.

"The memory battery (aka motherboard, CMOS, real-time clock (RTC), clock battery) is generally a CR2032 lithium coin cell. This cell battery has an estimated life of 3 years when power supply unit (PSU) is unplugged or when the PSU power switch is turned off."