[SOLVED] Windows slows down over time compared to when it was a fresh installation ?

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hi

I am using windows 10 64 bit

I don’t know if I should believe myth that says do a fresh windows installation every 4 or 5 years as it gets clogged and I feel windows slows down comparing when it was fresh installation

Although I use utility Revo Uninstaller (there are others) that is supposed not to leave a leftover in windows registry when you uninstall a program

I do not let unnecessary program to run in the background

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/mMfp5zV

Only I have ESET and MalwareBytes running when windows start

In past I used many utilities that check and tweak windows OS but it didn’t restore windows to its origin state when it was freshly installed

Is this true myth

Is there a trust program that check windows 10 health and advise accordingly ?

Am I missing some important steps?

What are most trusted programs worth to have / buy it ?

Thx

Solution
D
Yes uninstall all the garbage get rid of ESET Because that thing is a huge pig

Revo on installer is a big joke don’t ever use stuff like that. If it comes to the point where you can’t uninstall something and you need to reinstall windows from scratch
Hi

I am using windows 10 64 bit

I don’t know if I should believe myth that says do a fresh windows installation every 4 or 5 years as it gets clogged and I feel windows slows down comparing when it was fresh installation

Although I use utility Revo Uninstaller (there are others) that is supposed not to leave a leftover in windows registry when you uninstall a program

I do not let unnecessary program to run in the background

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/mMfp5zV

Only I have ESET and MalwareBytes running when windows start

In past I used many utilities that check and tweak windows OS but it didn’t restore windows to its origin state when it was freshly installed

Is this true myth

Is there a trust program that check windows 10 health and advise accordingly ?

Am I missing some important steps?

What are most trusted programs worth to have / buy it ?

Thx
Windows does accumulate stuff over time.
I have not seen it cause a problem unless your running short on storage space.
An occasional retrim or defrag may help.

I have just started using revo and so far it seems to work.
2 items I use just to keep the clutter down are disk cleanup and ccleaner.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes uninstall all the garbage get rid of ESET Because that thing is a huge pig

Revo on installer is a big joke don’t ever use stuff like that. If it comes to the point where you can’t uninstall something and you need to reinstall windows from scratch

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thx Titan
Those are not running when windows starts yes they are still installed on hard drive ,,,,,,are you saying even if they are not running get rid of them ?
Also, what else do you have in there?

Over the years, you've installed this, that, the other thing, in an attempt to analyze/fix/scan/whatever.
None of which are needed, and all of which can gunk up the system.

"Windows getting slower" is almost certainly software you've installed along the way.

Several years of that...you may want to consider a full wipe and reinstall.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Thx Mandark

Although it is paid version I am happy to do so,,,,any alternative internet security ?

Shall I just use default windows uninstaller ?

Thx
We all run our machines different.
Eset and mbam....if you feel comfortable using those products keep them.
Personally I just use the stock w10 anti product.

Revo....It runs the stock uninstaller first and then shows things that were missed.
You do not have to remove the missed items it's your option.

Only you know why you have all that stuff in the screen shot.
If it's not needed get rid of it.

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Noted

Revo....It runs the stock uninstaller first and then shows things that were missed.
Okay

What I am gathering from your and other advice that any program installed on a PC and not in use still slows down windows, although it is not running in background

D

Deleted member 14196

Personally I just use the stock w10 anti product.

I have seen people use that uninstaller and it broke their windows. It can’t know 100% what’s left over. And even if there’s some extra bits in the registry it doesn’t matter one iota to performance. People obviously don’t know how the registry works or what it is even.

I’ve also seen it removed shared components so then other applications don’t work so in my view it is absolute garbage. If you can’t uninstall programs properly using windows installer standard, then your windows is broken. Using stupid tools is only going to break it further

One last note, for people who install tons of applications constantly to their windows, they can expect to have to reset windows up from scratch every few years

As regards virus/malware protection on Windows 10, I rely solely on Windows Defender and have never had reason to regret it.
Most third-party alternatives have a considerable negative effect on PC performance & responsiveness.
Stay away from "dodgy" websites, use common sense, and you won't need anything except Windows Defender.

Reactions: Jmi20

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Windows slowing down over time is a myth, under certain circumstances. I can’t remember the last time i needed a fresh install of windows, maybe since i got an ssd.

Since upgrading to an ssd, i installed and removed a lot of programs, storage is almost completely full, but still performs about the same as it did with a fresh install.

windows will slow down over time, with a hard drive. Not with an ssd, it won’t.

plus, any third party “optimizer”, “registry cleaner”, etc., even third party anti viruses actually only slows down the pc in my experience…

I have seen people use that uninstaller and it broke their windows. It can’t know 100% what’s left over. And even if there’s some extra bits in the registry it doesn’t matter one iota to performance. People obviously don’t know how the registry works or what it is even.

I’ve also seen it removed shared components so then other applications don’t work so in my view it is absolute garbage. If you can’t uninstall programs properly using windows installer standard, then your windows is broken. Using stupid tools is only going to break it further

One last note, for people who install tons of applications constantly to their windows, they can expect to have to reset windows up from scratch every few years
Something I've learned over time is never run one of these machines without a full backup.
Things can go wonky real quick.
Revo does not force you to remove extra stuff it finds.
If you don't know what this extra stuff is leave it alone or be prepared to use your backup.
So far what I'm seeing, limited testing, is the stock uninstall leaves a bunch of stuff behind for some apps.
Multiply that over many apps and I suppose you have a bunch of wasted space.