Windows Slows Down to a Crawl on Multi-Monitor setup running Win 10

mystiky19

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
I've been meaning to write about this for a few weeks, but now it has really gotten bothersome. I don't remember this happening until I upgraded to build 1809 a month ago.

Running

Windows 10 x64, build 1809
Intel Core i7 6700K at 4200Mhz - I have turned OFF SpeedStep on the CPU in the BIOS, so always running full)
Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 (Skylake)
G.Skill 16 GBytes DDR4-2132 (1066 Mhz) in XMP
nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
Samsung SSD 970 Pro (MZ-V7P512BW) NVMe M.2
Using two 4K LG 32 inch monitors (one connected via HDMI 1.4, the other with DisplayPort)
Verizon FIOS 100MB/100MB internet connection

My system is 100% stable but for some reason:

I run about 4-6 open Windows at the same time and I use stock trading software in both monitors. Meaning, I basically have a data feed with updating numbers. Sometimes, I like to play Call of Duty WW2 or Fortnite while the trading software is running. What happens is that if I have either Call of Duty WW2 or Fornite running and up on the right display monitor as the primary window, the left display monitor starts to "hick-up" data from my still-running stock trading software. Meaning, it kind of gets stuck for a few seconds, then updates, then stuck then updates and so on. If I make the Call of Duty WW2 or Fortnite running in the background (either them still running but not in the fore-front of the either monitors), the data stream works perfectly.

Also, if I don't run the trading software at all, and have COD WW2 in the background and try to play Fortnite, the gameplay is very slow. And vice-versa. So basically, it seems like one window gets ALL of the priorities.

So I guess my problem must related to the "Processor Priority Level" setting in Windows 10?

I am not streaming anything on any of my tablets, TV's, etc. So it cannot be the internet bandwidth.

Also, do you think it I upgrade to GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 card that it will make any difference also?

Thanks for all input / suggestions!

Feb 20, 2019
(Information on how to configure "processor priority" in bottom of comments)

I've been having some odd issue with multiple monitors lately within Windows 10 as well. I see it with videos that are streaming, to start stuttering sometimes, as though I don't have enough resources in some way. I do run multiple virtual machines while I am watching these videos, which is what I'm focusing my attention on to more efficiently configure to not interfere with the host OS. Since I can just stream the videos through a VM themselves and don't seem to have nearly as much issues. From checking out the system through Task Manager, I also see the process called Windows Driver Foundation as taking up tons of resources. Looking into what it does, basically tells me that it is how Windows 10 handles the drivers that are running and other hardware that is being used by the system. So with that each monitor I am running, usually 4-5, requires more resources as each one seems to need more processing power to utilize. I can see this on smaller systems that don't have as much power where I can run just as many programs on a single screen as I would on multi display setups and not use nearly as much of the CPU. Anytime though, I question if something is acting up on the computer, I go check Task Manager and find Windows Driver Foundation as one of the highest CPU % processes.

From my experience I don't see any need for you to upgrade your graphics card, as the issue doesn't sound like one that the GPU is being over used. If you want to see for yourself, check out the Task Manager, while the issue is happening. If needed click More Details in the Task Manager and sort the list by the CPU. There is also a column labeled GPU and GPU engine. *If you are not seeing the GPU columns, right click on the title of any of the columns and select the GPU from the list to enable it. That should show you how much of each of the resources is being used by what process, as well as how much of your GPU is being used.

I'm not sure what the true fix should be for your issue or mine, but I just wanted to point you in the right direction and for you not think about upgrading a GPU when it would just be wasteful IMO. Since it's seems to be rooted in something Microsoft has done to Windows 10, you might need to test alternate configurations, i.e. which program is on which screen, add more RAM, or whatever resource that might be hurting. But if you find it is something like the Windows Driver Foundation, which is an issue with how it was developed, we will just have to wait for Microsoft to change this and make it better.

Changing Windows 10 to give more processor power to the background processes.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/2-ways-to-set-cpu-priority-to-prefer-foreground-apps.html

Last edited: