Question [Windows] Something is not allowing Photoshop to use more than 2.2-2.4TB total combined diskspace for its cache files

May 16, 2019
tested on Win8.1 64 / Win10 64.

What all could possibly be causing the fact that Photoshop can't utilize/allocate more than around 2.2 - 2.5TB total diskspace for its cache files? (Photoshop tech docs say it supports exabytes of cache space).

When it reaches th 2.2-2.5TB cache amount, it tries to fit in a last, smaller cache file, just like it does when i genuinely run out of space, except in this case its an invisible wall and there is plenty of space left on the disk and on further disks which are also set as cache disks, yet they wont get used and it throws "cache disks full".

I have tried shuffling and changing the physical disks around, for example 1TB + 1TB + 1TB + 3TB, or 512GB + 3TB etc but irrelevant of that, it just happens at around 2.2TB+ no matter which disks are participating in it and get filled first or whats the space situation on the disk at which the problem size gets reached. Its all regular sata HDDs.

I have tried with the disks as MBR and also all GPT. Tested on clean Windows8.1 (legacy bios mode + mbr) and windows10 (all uefi + gpt), with literally just the clean os and photoshop installed.

I have also tried on a completely different older computer with all different hardware and drivers and same problem.

Motherboard on the "latest" tested pc is Asus P9X79 (perhaps very early uefi?), perhaps could still have something to do with its older bios architecture? i cant get a newer pc to test with.

May 16, 2019
What are your cache settings? Ie - What level and size have you set?

i think the cache levels setting is only for gpu memory and how it handles the document gpu previews (quick smooth zooming and panning over giant documents) so i have that at 5 which seems to work best for my document sizes, the cache tile is at 1024, but i tried changing all this in the past and had no effect on this problem.

iam starting to think that this is a photoshop bug, but because of not getting any clear response on photoshop forums so far i was wondering if this could still be caused by something Windows / bios (2014 mb) / disk format related so i tried here too. because it does feel like its not photoshop's fault, something is not allowing it to allocate more disk space

Last edited: