Question Windows sometimes makes time to boot up

savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Hello,i have built a new computer for no more than 2 months now its pretty high end, ryzen 7 3700x rtx 2070 super etc... so sometimes when i boot my pc windows has a blank black screen with the loading circle and takes about 10-15 seconds to leave from that screen and actually take me to the login screen,any idea why? should i worry? or is it completly normal.. btw this happens sometimes, not every boot..

Unless you are booting from an SSD, 10-15 seconds is by no means unusual for Windows 10.

Either replace the HDD with an SSD, or put your PC to sleep instead of shutting it down every day.

Moreover, whilst in sleep mode, Windows can automatically wake it up to install updates during the night. It can't do that if PC has been shut down.

Windows will update drivers and install patches during the boot so it's not unusual especially with the last vulnerability announced. Also it will create a restore point when it does that.

Occasionally it's also do a disk check if the shutdown wasn't clean

savvth01

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Unless you are booting from an SSD, 10-15 seconds is by no means unusual for Windows 10.

Either replace the HDD with an SSD, or put your PC to sleep instead of shutting it down every day.

Moreover, whilst in sleep mode, Windows can automatically wake it up to install updates during the night. It can't do that if PC has been shut down.

I have windows on an m.2 drive,just now when i booted the pc again it did about 20 seconds to boot,again this only happens 1 out of 10 times but seems strange to me .

You likely have fast startup enabled. This can result in some pretty fast boot times. However, Windows can not update itself during a boot, when fast startup is enabled, so if Windows needs to load an update during a boot, it will disable fast startup to load the update files. After this is done, fast startup will be reenabled and will load it's current state into your RAM for the next boot. It should also be noted if Windows is not correctly shutdown, or you chose to do a restart, fast startup will also not be enabled, so your boot times will increase.

Reactions: savvth01