Windows start up then black screen

Flicony

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hi i'm Flicony and i built my own PC. I wanted to upgrade my gpu, so I bought an Asus hd 7770. Anyway my PSU didnt have a 6 pin cable so I used an adapter whicj converts 2x molex into a 6 pin.

So the GPU is in I start windows and it all goes smooth. I log in, install drivers and have to restart. I do. Then stuff gets strange. I look away from my computer at my phone and it appears my pc has done loading. But when i go to log in it asks me to log into /charliepc and it has the default picture (not mine) I try to log in but it doesnt work. Then my computer randomly starts windows again. Saying i need to do something with my hard drive. So i let it, and its starts doing stuff to my files. It then says its recovering orphan files. (im not sure if this helps but some of the orphan files were from League of Legends).

After it finishes it restarts the computer. It starts up normally and then after the starting windows screen theres nothing there but black and my mouse. I searched around some forums and found it could be my PSU being drained of power. I guessed it was the GPU draining the power as nothing like this happened before so i changed the GPU back to the old one.

But Alas windows does not start. Could it be that ive cooked my PSU or something? The GPU is the only thing ive changed in months so it must be its fault im guessing.

My Specs;

Case and PSU http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/shadow-black.html (they came together)
Gpu New Asus hd 7770
Gpu old nvdia gt 430 ( I think, it is discontinued and is small with 2 fans. Originally cost £70
CPU Amd athlon 2
motherboard Asrock n68c-hucc
4gb ram

RealBeast

Titan
It could be a number of things. The other username that you don't know on a machine you built is very odd. First if the fans spin up I would boot from something other than Windows as it could be a driver issue. I would try starting up in safe mode and then also try booting from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 (freeware) from: http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso

Just burn it to a CD to boot and if you want you can also run the virus scan. If it boots and you are clean, then boot with the Windows installer disk in and do a repair.

If it doesn't even have fans spinning up it could be the PSU is dead, but I would look for other causes that don't cost $$ to fix first.

Flicony

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Yes the fans are spinning and all. The thing it tried to log me into was my computer (charliepc) but its not what i log into. There was also another user there but it required username and password, I only use password. Thanks for replying

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The output is a different connector than what you have your monitor hooked up to. You'll have to connect your monitor to the rest of the plugs to see which it is using, and then the only way to make it output on the correct output is if you can hook up 2 monitors at the same time, unless you want to risk a hot-swap.

Flicony

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

The moniter is hooked up right. I can see the mouse and move it around, its just that windows is isnt starting...

Flicony

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Is there anything else i can do? I tried the Kaspersky disk but nothing seems to be working. Im happy to spend $$ to get it working

boot into the windows loader by pressing f8 during startup after the first flash screen.
you should see a menu with windows recovery options and safe mode...
first try safe mode. if windows boots then do the same again but this time slect last good config let windows boot normaly. if this works you will then want to uninstall the last drivers you put on.
its very likely your psu ran out of juice or became unstable thus the bad read write to the hdd on them game files. your pc ran chkdsk to make sure your drive was recovered. its likely that your game may need reinstalling to repair any missing data if there was any.

you will definatly want to upgrade your psu to a reputable brand 550w unit. you can pick them up for as little as £45

if it not a virus then explorer.exe that main part of windows is damaged or is not starting right. see if you can bring up the task manager (control alt del.) if you can and it not running try using run there to start explorer.exe
the other thing it could be is someone dialed into your pc or a virus changed the users on your system. try booting up in safe mode go under admin and see how many user accounts there are. if there more then one..delete guest and the newest account.
the older account should be yours. (if the virus or user may have made a new pasword when your in safe mode go to the old account and say you forgot the password..change is back to nothing...hit enter twice.

RealBeast

Titan
If it won't even boot with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk then it is not a Windows problem but a hardware problem. I would check to insure that all of your parts are seated well and connectors properly attached, since it started after you were inside the case with the new graphic card -- remove and reseat memory and cards, also check all power and motherboard connections. If after that you are 100% sure that everything is attached and seated properly, then I would start testing parts (although I have a pile of extras so it makes it easy) one at a time.

Flicony

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

That sounds like what happened, but when i launch safe mode it does the same thing with the blank screen and mouse

Akash James

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I had the same problem, but I got it resolved.
The black screen was because I had installed avast antivirus in my laptop that day. So I restored my laptop to a point before installing avast and now I got my win8 metro screen back. You may have installed some programs like avast which was not compatible with win8 , just try restoring, it will work :)