Windows startup repair shifted boot to wrong windows

AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Hi Everyone,

TLDR; Was using 8.1, bought new ssd, put 10 in it. Used old hard disk as storage hdd, didn't ever get around to actually deleting the old windows (didn't think much of it as it never actually gave me a choice to open in any other windows than 10). Had a few power outages together, the startup repair that comes around during windows loading came up that usually repairs harddisks, did something and now i can only boot with windows 8.1. windows 10 data is still there i can see my SSD drives and data.

So i recently purchased an SSD and installed windows 10 on it. I was previously using windows 8.1. The old windows was in my old HDD which i decided to use as a storage hard drive and use the SSD as the windows storage.

Now, I didn't actually delete windows 8.1 from the old hdd but just kinda ignored it as my new windows 10 started without giving me the choice to boot from a different windows. I could still see the drive containing windows 8.1 there with the windows data in it, it just didn't boot from it. I didn't really care about it too much so i just kinda left it there.

So today i had a few power outages while using the pc. What happened after a few was that my pc turned on and the startup windows hard disk repairing thingy started in the windows loading screen. I let it complete but what happened afterwards was that now it was booting with winodws 8.1 only. I tried removing the hard disk containing 8.1 and just left the SSD there with 10 but it says no bootable media found.

By logging in with windows 8.1, i can still see all my data there in the SSD but it seems as if the startup repair thing took the :"bootability" out of 10 which just left the 8 and now it doesn't find any boot stuff in the 10.

Can someone please help me out here?

Thanks,

Asad

AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

So like i said, I've already tried that but even though it does give me the option to boot from my SSD which has win 10, it still goes and loads windows 8.1 which leads me to believe the boot files are corrupt in my windows 10 drive.

"The startup repair thing took the "bootability" out of 10". Uh nugatory signore.

You were logged into 10 when an electrical jolt hit the board ? Hmm, I'd say the chances of resurrecting the 10 OS are less than 0.

Think about it-if the 10 bootability is now on the 8.1 drive, it would not boot as 8.1 but as 10, see ?

Count your self lucky you still got any working disk
IMHO, reinstall 10 on the ssd, get'er all nice and smooth, then clone that disk to the HDD. Keep that clone current but with your luck, I'd store it outside the computer.

AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

lol alright. I was looking around and it seems "bootability" actually just depends on boot files. What i'm gonna try is try to boot up with a windows installation usb and use the repair function or something. (basically follow this: https://windowsinstructed.com/windows-does-not-boot-now/)

AsadHabib

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

I've literally removed the hardisk that has windows 8 and only kept the one with 10. When i start my pc up it says insert boot device. It seems the bootfiles have been corrupted.

TRENDING THREADS