Question Windows still recognizing OS on a formatted harddisk

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Hallo, i have two ssds, one is nvme and one is sata ssd, all are of form m.2
I have installed windows on nvme and in the process I formatted both the two ssds in the windows installation process, why is it that during boot, windows still recognizes OS on the second formatted sata ssd, I expected the boot to just go straight and launch without asking me to chose which disk to chose OS,

Hallo, i have two ssds, one is nvme and one is sata ssd, all are of form m.2
I have installed windows on nvme and in the process I formatted both the two ssds in the windows installation process, why is it that during boot, windows still recognizes OS on the second formatted sata ssd, I expected the boot to just go straight and launch without asking me to chose which disk to chose OS,
The Windows installer is kind of "quirky" and really does not like installing Windows when more than one ssd is connected. This is obviously difficult when both ssds are in m.2 form since removing one can be difficult. If there is nothing on either ssd that you need to preserve you could use a disk partitioning tool like Gparted or Minitool Partition Wizard to remove all of the partitions from both of the m.2 ssds so that all of the space in unallocated. Only the GPT identifier needs to remain. At that point you may be able to install Windows with all of the necessary boot files on one ssd, generally the first ssd listed on the Windows installation screen. If successful then you can create a partition and reformat the second ssd. If this still fails then you will have to go ahead and remove one of the m.2 ssds so that the installer only sees the one you really want to install windows on.

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
Ive tried by deactivating the timeout in the view advanced settings in the system on control panel, so now when I turn it on, it doesnt show or tell me to chose OS, is this a temporary solution or just a fine solution, honestly the windows is only installed on the nvme and the other sata ssd is blank since I formatted it

oliveria

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
This is the procedure I followed that I found in another link

1. Type “System” into the control panel search bar, and select “View Advanced Settings” in the resulting list. This will bring up the "System Properties" box with the "Advanced" properties already opened.
  2. Click the “Settings” button to the right of the words “Startup and Recovery," which is the third option down within the Advanced System Properties Window.
  3. Click on the drop-down box next to “Default Operating System.” Select the operating system you wish to boot on startup, such as “Windows 8 Home.”
  4. Uncheck the box labeled “Time to display list of operating systems.” Click the OK button and reboot to ensure that the settings have taken effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS