[SOLVED] Windows stops responding

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I turn my old PC into NAS, with help from Plex Media Server. I installed Windows 10 Pro about two months ago and didn't have any problem, until about a week ago when the PC seems inaccessible from my network and doesn't display anything when I plugged an HDMI cable into a monitor.

When this happens, all attempts to connect to the PC remotely aren't working. From Plex client apps, Samba, Remote Desktop app, etc. I can see the Remote Desktop app gives the 0x204 error code on my iPad which suggests the PC isn't turned on or not connected to a network. I rarely plug a display cable into a monitor, but when, for instance, my Plex streams stopped and I do that, I can't see anything on the monitor like it's not plugged into a GPU.

I already did "sfc /scannow" command and it doesn't report any integrity violations, also replug the LAN cable, updating necessary drivers and BIOS, reseat the GPU, make sure the PC never sleeps when idle, but no luck. The only way to solve this is to restart the PC via a button on my PC case. It worked but in the next 10 hours or so, this problem happens again. With problems seems on both network and display, I suspect the culprit isn't either of them. And before using Windows 10 Pro, I use Fedora and never face this. So I guess this is an issue with Windows?

Please help, thanks in advance.

Solution
It is solved by uninstalling Docker Desktop, never have any trouble since.

Additional note:
When the problem happens, all access to that PC is unavailable. After restarting, all things are normal: the system powers up, I can boot past POST then Windows, etc. It is a matter of hours before the PC isn't responding again.

Anyway thanks for the reply Lutfij!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools and keep that handy. From the way you've described the issue, to me it seems either your PSU might be failing or your motherboard is trying to say goodbye.

I'm curious though does the system power up and POST?

cliffflip

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
It is solved by uninstalling Docker Desktop, never have any trouble since.

Additional note:
When the problem happens, all access to that PC is unavailable. After restarting, all things are normal: the system powers up, I can boot past POST then Windows, etc. It is a matter of hours before the PC isn't responding again.

Anyway thanks for the reply Lutfij!

Solution