[SOLVED] Windows stuck in recovery environment

ruslanegotin

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
I got a windows update a few days ago but it would only let me update it if i do a “restart & update” but since i turn off my pc overnight i was forgetting to update it until yesterday. I clicked on the notification which had given me a few options and i decided to update it then cuz i had nothing else to do. PC restarted but my screen remained black i waited for about 5-10 mins then decided to restart my pc. After the restart the screen wasn’t detecting any display input (was using a DP, tried with HDMI-same thing) tried a few tricks but nothing helped. Then i decided to plug my monitor directly into the MB via HDMI and it turned on but when loading a “ automatic repairing” rext showed up and i got sent to the windows recovery environment or whatever it is called ( View: https://imgur.com/5T6MRJu
) and tried every option given in there but nothing works...
Dell AW2518H
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B250H - gaming
CPU: i7-7700
GPU: geforce gtx 1070
RAM: 16GB crucial ddr4 2x4GB 1x8
PSU: be quiet s8-600w
Storage: i believe its a 128gb adata ssd, some other random ssd, a 1tb hdd barracuda and a intel octane drive idk how its called
The pc is my brother’s but he gave it to me and im not the person who built it and i’ve had it for a 1-2 months now and i don’t know the exact names of the components, sorry..
Thanks in advance!

Solution
on that menu, choose troubleshoot
on the next menu, does it have advanced?

its possible you interrupted win 10 while it was updating. That isn't a good idea. it tends to break things.

If you got advanced menu, I can help you move any info that is on C drive, that you want to save, onto the 1tb drive

choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Since I don't know what update it was, it might have been a version update which is essentially a clean install of win 10. SInce it doesn't work now, that is what I suggest you do anyway.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10...

Colif

Win 11 Master

its possible you interrupted win 10 while it was updating. That isn't a good idea. it tends to break things.

If you got advanced menu, I can help you move any info that is on C drive, that you want to save, onto the 1tb drive

choose command prompt

Since I don't know what update it was, it might have been a version update which is essentially a clean install of win 10. SInce it doesn't work now, that is what I suggest you do anyway.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

(if you didn't have access to CMD off the advanced menu above, you can boot off this USB and access it - boot from installer, and on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install. that will take you to same blue menus as above.)

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Solution

ruslanegotin

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018

choose command prompt

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

(if you didn't have access to CMD off the advanced menu above, you can boot off this USB and access it - boot from installer, and on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install. that will take you to same blue menus as above.)

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Hey i managed to make a clean installation on windows but when i plug in my monitor via DP cable or hdmi cable it still cant find display signal from my device.. It was ok with the hdmi straight into the motherboard :/ Could it be missing drivers ?
But i dont think missing drivers should completely remove the display signal of my gpu it should still display on the monitor, right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
But i dont think missing drivers should completely remove the display signal of my gpu it should still display on the monitor, right?
It should show a picture even without drivers as win 10 has basic drivers.

if you run PC off the motherboard, does the GPU show in device manager?
I am not sure it works, but have you tried to install nvidia drivers while monitor attached to motherboard?
Can you put gpu in another PC and see if it works?

ruslanegotin

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
It should show a picture even without drivers as win 10 has basic drivers.

if you run PC off the motherboard, does the GPU show in device manager?
I am not sure it works, but have you tried to install nvidia drivers while monitor attached to motherboard?
Can you put gpu in another PC and see if it works?
updated all the devices in device manager while the monitor was plugged in the motherboard and it worked like a charm! :) Thanks for the assistance!

Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS