Windows system assessment tool has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlovel2828

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
I installed new hardware and the system prompts me to run a reassessment . When I do it stops part way through with the above captioned message. I cleared the settings and tried again with the same result. Any suggestions??

12/07 Home Build, Q6600 w/Zalman, Striker Extreme, 1910 BIOS, 2 x EVGA 768MB 8800GTX in SLI, 2 x 4GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR2 800, 2 x 150 GB WD Raptors in Raid 0 (OS & Programs), 1 TB Hitachi Desk Star (Storage), Sony BD Burner, card reader, Cooler Master Stacker 830 w/LED fans and case lights, 1000w power supply, Windows 7 64 bit, Altec Lansing 2.1 40w, Samsung Sync Master 27" HD monitor.

mavroxur

Distinguished

Somtimes it's cache gets bugged, and will not provide a rating. Try this - (copied from another site)

Go to Start menu and find Command Prompt in Accessories.

Right-click and choose Run as Administrator, to open an Administrative
Prompt

Type in these commands:

C:\> cd C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore>mkdir Saved

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore>copy * Saved

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore>del *
C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore> cd \

C:\>winsat formal -v

Winsat will take a couple of minutes to run. Once winsat has completed
running, it will return to a command prompt.

C:\>

Type "exit" to leave the Command Prompt.

Now, go back to Control Panel, System and Maintenance, System, Check your
system's Windows Experience Index base score. You should see updated
performance data.

Obviously if you get any error messages along the way, make a note of them
and report back to the newsgroup.

You can also catenate the verbose output of Winsat to a file:

C:\>winsat formal -v > MyPerf.log

and inspect the myperf.log to get all the grizzly details. Run "winsat /?'

SidhuSaaB

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hi, i have installed windows almost 6-7 times and in any case i cant run the WinSAT. Not even from command line.

DougCF

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Thanks for this process.
I ran it and it worked like a charm.
First when you access the menu item for command prompt, you need to make sure you run as administrator.
Second when it starts don't plan on doing anything else till it's finished. It may seem like it's stopped but be patient.
As long as you don't get an error message, it's still running.
Great tip!! :bounce:

DougCF

Honorable
May 13, 2012

thisismoc

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
This looks great. I ran these steps, it made it to "Assessing DirectX Texture Load Performance" and then I got a windows pop-up (outside of command prompt) that once again the "Windows System Assessment Tool has stopped working".

A little background -

this is a dell M4600 Windows 7 64b w/ 8 GB ram. Yesterday I noticed that while docked, I lost the Aero functionality and some graphics capiblilties. I undocked and ran the day with a monitor plugged into the back.

CAD sucked yesterday.

So today Im back in my office (yesterday was the home office, different dock) and I'm trying the dock here, same result. I found this forum, ran the steps, and now I'm getting the same error I would get if I went to the Performance Information and Tools page within Win7.

I'm wondering if I need to update DirectX?

Any information that anyone can add, I'd appreciate it!

thisismoc

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
This looks great. I ran these steps, it made it to "Assessing DirectX Texture Load Performance" and then I got a windows pop-up (outside of command prompt) that once again the "Windows System Assessment Tool has stopped working".

A little background -

this is a dell M4600 Windows 7 64b w/ 8 GB ram. Yesterday I noticed that while docked, I lost the Aero functionality and some graphics capiblilties. I undocked and ran the day with a monitor plugged into the back.

CAD sucked yesterday.

So today Im back in my office (yesterday was the home office, different dock) and I'm trying the dock here, same result. I found this forum, ran the steps, and now I'm getting the same error I would get if I went to the Performance Information and Tools page within Win7.

I'm wondering if I need to update DirectX?

Any information that anyone can add, I'd appreciate it!

Mr-ET

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
You need to remove installed update - Platform Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB2670838) - then you will need to enable Aero and should be good after a restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts