Windows takes 20 Minutes to Load

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Suddenly, about a week ago, I had not rebooted my Laptop for a week, and restarted. Upon rebooting, POST completed, and then suddenly a Black but BACKLIT screen. After 5 minutes I felt something was wrong. So I rebooted. Same thing everytime. I started freaking out, and after 6 reboots, I had to walk away. I went downstairs occupied myself for about a half hour. I came back and the windows login screen was up. So I logged in and tried to reboot again. This time I just waited, and after 25 minutes, Windows booted up. I tried over and over, rebooting many times, and everytime, POST will complete, then a black screen and hangs on the black screen for 20 minutes, then Windows loads. To add to the frustration, IN Windows, about 60-70% the attempts at loading programs result in (Not Responding) and crashes. I am getting really really frustrated. I have so much work to do, and this is completely impairing my ability to get anything done. Programs lock up, crash, Windows takes forever to boot, I need Help.

For clarification and disclosure, my system is:

HP Pavilion DV7
Intel core i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

Thanks Brett, I will try Hirens, I have a copy laying around I forgot about. I have run CHKDSK and SFC in DOS, Spybot Multpile runs, MalwareBytes Multiple FULL Scans, Hijackthis, TuneUp Utilities, All came up clean and TuneUp Utilities completed the One Click Optimizer.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

I had Run Hirens, Memory Diagnostics, No joy. Everything passes but still a 20 minute delay for boot. Is there a specific Hirens test I should be running?

Hi :)

Yes... the FULL hard drive test and depending on size it will take a couple of hours ish...

All the best Brett :)

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
See if its a program or some startup entry that is causing the problem, hit f8 while booting and attempt to enter safe mode, see if it loads up then. If it loads up it tells you there is a problem in one of your startup entries which is causing the hang.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
To Clarify, the things I have already done are:

Ran Updated Spybot Scans - CLEAN
Ran Malwarebytes FULL Scans - CLEAN
Ran Hijackthis and CLEANED UP
Ran TuneUp Utilities One Click Optimizer
Ran CHKDSK
Ran SFC
Ran Trend Micro House Call
I DO NOT Use Antivirus Software
I have Defragged Drive
Ran MemTest
Run MSCONFIG - Limited Startup

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Brett, I looked in Detail, and the Only HDD Utility I found on Hirens was the Seagate Dsc Wizard. When I attempt to run it, it simply reads out one line referring to Linux and it sits there.

Can you create a small partition on your hard drive then install windows on that (You don't have to activate it, just let it boot into the fresh OS and see how long it takes) That should help us with determining if its a virus, or some other thing non hardware related.

Edit: or heck you could probably try booting into safemode.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

No. As soon as it gets to:

Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
It hangs. It keeps saying Please Wait... I don't know if that string is the problem, or if that is already loaded and it is the next one that its hanging on.

xfile102

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Ok Guys, I finally let Startup Repair run and this is what I got back:

error.jpg

Any ideas? Please tell me this is something I can fix without having to Restore or Reinstall Win 7. This is a 1TB Drive and I Dont have anything big enough to back up everything to.

The error is due to a file or the registry becoming corrupt, run the sfc /scannow command from an elevated Command Prompt to check for file errors or run system restore to fix registry errors. I know that you said that for some reason that you didn't want to run system restore but apart from reinstalling this is your only choice.