Question Windows takes about 6 minutes to start

Jul 26, 2019
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this,

It started a few months back from now, the PC seems to be booting fine, and the windows boot screen appears (This screen).
That's when ... nothing happens for about 6 minutes, and then the login screen appears and everything works smoothly.

I checked the system logs after rebooting and nothing happens after the shutdown event for about 6 minutes.

You might want to know that I have a pretty decent CPU (i7-4720HQ), 16GB DDR3 RAM, a low end GPU (GTX 950m) and a 1TB SSD (One of the first Crucial models I think).

Feel free to share any thought or experience, thanks.

Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for the input.

Have you got a ton of programs opening at boot?
I've disabled all the startup programs to make sure these weren't the cause of the issue (anyway I had only 4) and nothing changed.
Have you installed a new version of windows recently?
I think that this issue began to occur after an update of Windows but I'm not too sure about that.
have you updated any drivers recently?
I keep my GPU driver up to date and that's it.
Do you have a malware issue?
I don't think so, i mean there's no obvious adware of any kind. And I don't see any program I don't know about in the process explorer.

My guess is : If any of the issues you suggested was the cause, I should see some system event logs on boot, am I right?

Thanks for the input.

I've disabled all the startup programs to make sure these weren't the cause of the issue (anyway I had only 4) and nothing changed.

I think that this issue began to occur after an update of Windows but I'm not too sure about that.

I keep my GPU driver up to date and that's it.

I don't think so, i mean there's no obvious adware of any kind. And I don't see any program I don't know about in the process explorer.

My guess is : If any of the issues you suggested was the cause, I should see some system event logs on boot, am I right?
Depends, might not see anything weird with an update or a sneaky piece of malware. Doesn’t hurt to see if you can downgrade to old drivers or run a Defender scan.

Jul 26, 2019
Setup a clean boot environment and check your timings. Check the logs for any processes failing/timing out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Thanks for the tip, I did exactly what you said and the same happened :
At 7:20 AM : System shutdown : 'The operating system is shutting down at system time ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎01T07:20:50.122511700Z.'
At 7:27 AM : System starts : 'The operating system started at system time ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎01T07:20:55.500000000Z.'

Between those two, the only events i got are:
  • At 7:27 AM : Multiprocessor free
  • At 7:27 AM : Event log started
  • At 7:27 AM : System uptime is 365 seconds
So nothing unusual here except the timing :)
Thanks !

Last edited: