Windows taking 10 minutes on restarting screen?

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
So on my Windows machine it takes about 10 minutes on the restarting screen, then boots up very fast. I have already tried a new hard drive, a fresh install of Windows, but not a cold/clean boot. The only weird thing is that it shuts down in 30 seconds. I have an i7 5820k, 16GB of RAM, a brand new 850 Evo 1TB, GTX 1080 FE, and an MSi X99A SLI Krait Edition. I don’t know what to do! Is this Windows updating without showing me or what? I am on Windows 10 1803 and everything is up to date. Anyone have a fix? All help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I have solved it. All I did was disable Skype and Steam from my startup tab in Task Manager. Turns out it was a super simple fix. Thanks for the help.

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
Also, I am not booting to anything else but my SSD and I am not tweaking the BIOS. If I have to I will deal with it. I think it may be some sort of hardware issue, but I really have no idea.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
With windows 10 the shutdown is like in windows 7 the hibernate function.. so everything you have running in ram saves.. that is why that is faster to shutdown and turn back on. the reboot is like the old windows 7 and previous that it is really a FULL reboot.. it clears everything from memory (like the old shutdown and reboot) so a restart in windows 10 is going to always be slower. It also depends on how many programs you have setup to start. like with my system an Ryzen 7 1800X with an 860 or 960 EVO (forget what one) the shutdown and turn back on it takes only a few seconds. with restart it takes a few extra seconds (as long as there is no updates to install that is).

I do know that at least in my case I am on the NON newest windows 10 version the 1709 and have not tried the 1803 version yet.

I would IF you have not already try the restart, and time how long it takes to start up. AND then also do the shutdown.. then hit the power button and see how long it takes from post to boot. to see if there is any considerable difference.

IF windows is updating it tells you.. so that should not be the case.

ANOTHER THING TO DO is unplug EVERYTHING from like the USB ports.. I have had a few older computers (not my current one) that IF you have an external drive etc.. plugged into it it takes a LOT longer to boot.. NOT sure why.

ALSO, IN bios make sure you change the boot from stuff so it ONLY has the drive that has the OS on it.. it will save time in the boot process from what I have experienced in the past. NOT much but if its set to the wrong drive to boot from first it takes a LOT longer to boot being its not on the first option. and turn off booting from USB or DVD / cd drives as that also adds time.

stdragon

Admirable
Most likely it's getting hung on shutting down a service, failing to do so, and then proceeding with the reboot after having reached the timeout expiration limit.

You might want to open up services.msc (command or search) and look for any services that were added by a 3rd party utility or application. If it's running, try stopping the service and see if it shuts down properly or times out with an error message.

Also check the Application and System event logs via the Event Viewer.

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

The odd thing is is that it doesn’t hang on shut downs, only reboots.

Also, it happnd on my old drive as well, and when I got this new one it was fixed... that is, until I probably installed something also on my old drive, causing this. It just confuses me that it only happns on restarts, not shut downs. Also, would there be any way to make it carry on with the reboot and make the limit only 20 seconds or so?

And would I disable the services one by one? There are way too many...

stdragon

Admirable
I wouldn't change any of the default Windows services; but here's a list of them just as an FYI.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-default-services-configuration/

You might want to try changing the Power Options to " High Performance" and see if that resolves the issue.

Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options --> High Performance