Windows taking a long time to reach the user logon prompt (or desktop)?

Mr Davo

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hi All,

I have a Windows 7 laptop which is slow to load into the Desktop. Booting up takes the 'standard' amount of time, and everything progresses normally until the splash screen which has 'Windows 7 Professional' written at the bottom.

Normally the 'Windows 7 Professional screen' almost instantly brings up the appropriate user account and a password box; however on this particular troubled laptop there is a delay of 30 - 90 seconds before the password entry field is presented.

I have scanned for viruses (there are none), and installed all available Windows updates, however this has not lead to any improvement.

To further test the laptop I have created another user account, without a password, and temporarily disabled the original user account. However there is still a substantial delay between the 'W7 Professional' screen and the desktop loading.

If anybody has any advice on how to overcome this issue it will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Solution
Make sure the battery and charger are functioning properly. A weak battery or charger may cause the CPU to downclock and slow your boot and Windows loading. I would also check the health of your drive and make sure it isn't nearly full.
Make sure the battery and charger are functioning properly. A weak battery or charger may cause the CPU to downclock and slow your boot and Windows loading. I would also check the health of your drive and make sure it isn't nearly full.

Solution