[SOLVED] Windows taking over a minute to turn on after being powered down from wall?

Feb 21, 2019
Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 3700x, 32GB DDR4 3,000mhz Ram(4 sticks), Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 x470 motherboard(latest bios), Gigabyte 2070 GPU and Samsung 970 SSD. Ultra fast boot in bios enabled.

On a regular shut down my boot time is about 16-17 seconds, in which it spends ALOT of that time with a black screen to get to the actual bios. However if I power the whole PC down from the actual wall, it takes well over a minute and 40 seconds to get to the log in screen. Seems unusually long considering my RAM and SSD. Any ideas? I do notice the motherboard LED switching/cycling randomly from CPU to DRAM to GPU a few times before finally loading POST.

Also when I start up the PC after powering down from the wall, the BIOS settings I had(XMP, Ultra fast boot etc) all revert back to default settings. Could the CMOS battery be the culprit here? Have updated all drivers, have tried 2 RAM sticks instead of 4, have reset CMOS manually. Could it be due to a short somewhere? Please help, I have been trying to fix this for weeks.

Last edited:
Solution
there is a last option, bios update, but can also consider return both the ram and motherboard and avoid more problems because you mention you already have latest bios

if motherboard has still warranty, return it to get another, if ram is new, return it, i personally have bought pretty much only corsair the last few years and it does what i ask it to do without problems, apart of the one i mention, when i overclock it past xmp and does more than what yours is doing, pretty ,uch reset bios and goes back to 2133mhz
Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 with a Ryzen 3700x, 32GB DDR4 3,000mhz Ram(4 sticks), Gigabyte Aorus gaming 5 x470 motherboard(latest bios), Gigabyte 2070 GPU and Samsung 970 SSD. Ultra fast boot in bios enabled.

On a regular shut down my boot time is about 16-17 seconds, in which it spends ALOT of that time with a black screen to get to the actual bios. However if I power the whole PC down from the actual wall, it takes well over a minute and 40 seconds to get to the log in screen. Seems unusually long considering my RAM and SSD. Any ideas? I do notice the motherboard LED switching/cycling randomly from CPU to DRAM to GPU a few times before finally loading POST.

Also when I start up the PC after powering down from the wall, the BIOS settings I had(XMP, Ultra fast boot etc) all revert back to default settings. Could the CMOS battery be the culprit here? Have updated all drivers, have tried 2 RAM sticks instead of 4, have reset CMOS manually. Could it be due to a short somewhere? Please help, I have been trying to fix this for weeks.
OS has nothing to do with it, it's all in BIOS, battery maybe but a short can't be excluded. Battery normally lasts for years unless shorted out, maybe just not making contact.

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks for the information. I ruled out the OS a while ago as after the Windows logo comes on, it takes about 2 seconds to enter the log in screen. I will mess around with the battery and make sure there is proper contact and possibly get a new one. Even if it is not responsible for the long cold start up, the BIOS shouldn't reset to default settings. I don't think it is the power supply/motherboard either as the whole PC functions properly once in Windows.

Thanks for the information. I ruled out the OS a while ago as after the Windows logo comes on, it takes about 2 seconds to enter the log in screen. I will mess around with the battery and make sure there is proper contact and possibly get a new one. Even if it is not responsible for the long cold start up, the BIOS shouldn't reset to default settings. I don't think it is the power supply/motherboard either as the whole PC functions properly once in Windows.
Exactly, CMOS should hold settings even if not plugged in for years.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
last time i saw such behavior it was related to motherboard trying to handle overclocking settings on the ram modules, it seems it was trying different values for the ram modules and failing, untill it went with a valid configuration, it was longer than that, but it didn't happened always

replace the battery, reset the bios, see if that helps

you mention the 4 ram slots, try this diagnose with only 1 or 2 modules, to see if that helps close down on the problem, or is ram or is motherboard

Feb 21, 2019
last time i saw such behavior it was related to motherboard trying to handle overclocking settings on the ram modules, it seems it was trying different values for the ram modules and failing, untill it went with a valid configuration, it was longer than that, but it didn't happened always

replace the battery, reset the bios, see if that helps

you mention the 4 ram slots, try this diagnose with only 1 or 2 modules, to see if that helps close down on the problem, or is ram or is motherboard

Thank you, this seems very promising. I did try two RAM configurations and it ended up being the same. Have not tried with 1 module but will give it a shot. I definitely think it could be the ram configurations. I have noticed that the RAM speeds in CPU-Z would sometimes drop to the factory speed(1,066) instead of the speed with XMP enabled(1,499) randomly without me changing it.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
Thank you, this seems very promising. I did try two RAM configurations and it ended up being the same. Have not tried with 1 module but will give it a shot. I definitely think it could be the ram configurations. I have noticed that the RAM speeds in CPU-Z would sometimes drop to the factory speed(1,066) instead of the speed with XMP enabled(1,499) randomly without me changing it.
then it is that, you are having problems with xmp, ram has problems taking the profile, if you can do the xmp with 2 ram sticks but not with the other 2, you can pinpoint tto motherboard not working well with the modules or modules having problems with those values, try to use a overclocking lower than the 3000mhz you mention, try 2800 or 2666, start from there, perhaps is better not to use the xmp in your case

Feb 21, 2019
Only by having permanent settings which of course means solving problem with battery and retaining settings.

Put the brand new battery in and nothing has changed :( Bios still reverts back to default settings on cold reboot(Ultra boot is off, XMP is off etc) but keeps the saved boot profile. What in the world could it be?

Feb 21, 2019
then it is that, you are having problems with xmp, ram has problems taking the profile, if you can do the xmp with 2 ram sticks but not with the other 2, you can pinpoint tto motherboard not working well with the modules or modules having problems with those values, try to use a overclocking lower than the 3000mhz you mention, try 2800 or 2666, start from there, perhaps is better not to use the xmp in your case

I tried with one RAM stick installed, still the same issue. This occurs even with XMP turned off. I have installed a brand new CMOS battery(same specs) and BIOS still reverts back to factory settings on a full cold reboot but keeps my saved boot profile in the save/load boot profile options. Could the motherboard be having problems with the factory RAM speed? I've really hit a wall here...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
there is a last option, bios update, but can also consider return both the ram and motherboard and avoid more problems because you mention you already have latest bios

if motherboard has still warranty, return it to get another, if ram is new, return it, i personally have bought pretty much only corsair the last few years and it does what i ask it to do without problems, apart of the one i mention, when i overclock it past xmp and does more than what yours is doing, pretty ,uch reset bios and goes back to 2133mhz

Solution
Feb 21, 2019

I will contact Gigabyte and see what they say. if they have a fix for me I will gladly comply and hopefully it sorts it. Otherwise a new motherboard is my only other option. Thanks for the help once again.

Feb 21, 2019
I should mention that the RGB lighting for the RAM and CPU fan light up well before the actual onboard motherboard RGB lights come on. Not sure if this is indicative of anything though.