Windows Task Manager shows CPU usage in red, need a help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

egghead321

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
hi, my cpu is P4 2.6GHZ, 512 mb ram, windows XP. the PC is less than 2 yr,

when i hit Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, the Windows Task Manager shows my CPU Usage in red, not normal green, sometimes in 100% usage even i wasn't running any application. ever since i got this PC, it was very slow and it would take a long time to load any application.

damaged CPU or over heating CPU?

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Red is used by Task Manager to show the amount of CPU that is spent executing kernel code (ring 0). Green is used to show the amount of time spent executing user code (ring 3).

A healthy system showing both will show the green on top of the red.

You can turn off showing the kernel time by going to the Performance tab and, under the view menu, uncheck "show kernel times".

If once you've done that it is still red, you have a situation I have not run into before.

HTH

Reactions: nikos3194

tangleweb

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Almost 7 years later and STILL useful.

Thank you 440bx for a succinct and useful description.

~Dave

NicoraiP

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
was useful when my main system was dead and i had to use this old bad athlon xp 64 bit with windows 7 it could not handle anything. hope it works fine with XP. i wondered what that red bar was about my Athlon XP +3200 didnt showed that up. was it a update from XP later on? this XP is pretty last much Release that was made from XP support was deactivated. thanks for the info i was so glad it didnt had aynthing to do with a defect/bad CPU *phew*

2Fatbear

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

10 years later, your info is still helping someone. Thanks!

andrericho7

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Almost exactly 10 yrs later and still helping! This guys is like Ghandi!

Thanks 440BX

aldodzb

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Thank you 440bx, we are 2 days from 10 years ago that you wrote the answer and today it was useful to me. I dont remember have checked that option, and got kind of nervous becuase I have never seen it. Thanks again!

Jun 13, 2020
today is 13th of June 2020. Thanks for the explanation, @440bx. I especially registered to let you know, that it is still useful :D

Apr 22, 2022
Red is used by Task Manager to show the amount of CPU that is spent executing kernel code (ring 0). Green is used to show the amount of time spent executing user code (ring 3).

A healthy system showing both will show the green on top of the red.

You can turn off showing the kernel time by going to the Performance tab and, under the view menu, uncheck "show kernel times".

If once you've done that it is still red, you have a situation I have not run into before.

HTH

More than 15 years have passed and I can confirm that it's the most epic reply I have seen in a long time :ouimaitre:

Status
Not open for further replies.