News Windows Terminal to Replace Command Prompt in Windows 11

Giroro

Splendid
Me: I wonder how 'the makers of Windows 11' could possibly slow-down and screw up the interface in such a simple text-based app.

" ....modernized rendering engine with DirectX GPU acceleration."

Me again: Yep.... That ought to do it.

I wonder if they'll also add-in the "pointlessly wait for text to appear like a slot machine" animation that makes everything in Excel take 3x longer than it should.

Reactions: Krotow
D

Deleted member 14196

That's a GOOD thing

slow? how? have you ever used windows terminal?

I use stuff like this to build software, this and git-bash. you don't realize the difference.

it gives me linux commands i can use and do real automation work with powerful programmable scripts, not mere batch files.

edit, just fired it up, came up just as fast as command prompt cmd.exe did, and MUCH MORE capable in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I've been using it since it was released I think and it's great... Except that I don't generally use it for command prompt stuff. I use it for wsl like for compiling QMK or to ssh to my linux server. But it's nice that I can set it to wsl as the default shell when it opens. I'd be fine with it as the default command prompt as well.

Lose what updates?
Automatic updates through the store. If you download it manually and/or compile it on your own, it doesn't have an "auto-update" feature. I find that kind of stupid in this day and age, but doesn't surprise me they're making it a "MS Store" feature. I hope I'm just reading too much into it, but I won't put it past MS to do that.

Regards.

D

Deleted member 14196

Automatic updates through the store. If you download it manually and/or compile it on your own, it doesn't have an "auto-update" feature. I find that kind of stupid in this day and age, but doesn't surprise me they're making it a "MS Store" feature. I hope I'm just reading too much into it, but I won't put it past MS to do that.

Regards.
It’s becoming part of the OS so you don’t need to worry about it

D

Deleted member 14196

What’s the issue of getting it with the store? Oh well whatever

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
So typical of Microsoft, a day late and a dollar short. Have had terminal programs like this for years in Linux. Also, why wasn't this included with Win 11 out of the box? Why release it now only a few months after Win 11?

D

Deleted member 14196

because they chose not to for whatever the reasons were. what's your beef? you crab because it's not there now crab because it's there? they can do stuff like this easily with updates, roll it out as it's been fully tested, etc.... you must never have been part of a developer team.