[SOLVED] Windows Update 2004 fails and reverts changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there
We have Hasswel 4770K Asus Z series Motherboard and AMD R280 graphics. Initially the problem was that the graphics driver would not run and give us black screen. The troubleshooting tutorial recommended to assure that all updates installed, and this is when we figured out that update 2004 would not install. It downloads, going through installation process, restarts couple of times and then at the end it gives us black screen. We wait like 15-20 minutes, nothing happens. Hard Restart and it reverts changes. The update was started with Graphics driver disabled in devices. The behavior is similar. If this driver enabled it gives us black screen (computer would boot fine in safe mode), and it fails update with driver disabled. But first thing first: How do I fix update failure? I think graphics driver needs this update to work.
About 6 months ago, we had update loop and had to reinstall Windows. Is something wrong with the C drive? It is 250Gb Intel SSd.
Thank you.

Solution
Colif, you summarised what I was thinking. We disable that driver in Device Manager, do you think it trying to enable it?

The update is a version update. What that means is every 6 months there is a new version of WIn 10 released, and that would have installed it. So since its effectively a clean install, it likely enabled the device and then hit the blank screen.

Maybe uninstall the drivers before you run the update and see if you still get blank screen

Update: Since Microsoft release a New ISO everytime they release a version update, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. This is the update you are trying to get.

You could remove PC from internet while it...
You are aborting the update before it's done and this is the source of your trouble. The update will appear to stall at a black screen for quite a few minutes before continuing on to the desktop. This phase takes as long as it needs to take. Just leave it be.

Astralv

Distinguished
You are aborting the update before it's done and this is the source of your trouble. The update will appear to stall at a black screen for quite a few minutes before continuing on to the desktop. This phase takes as long as it needs to take. Just leave it be.
This is my 15 years old gamer's computer. His self control is only good for 15 minutes, then he must return to gaming or his brain will go in overdrive. 15 minutes is looooong time without gaming.

Astralv

Distinguished
How long do you wait? we waited 15-20 minutes- it looked dead in a water. ...Attempted to run update. Apparently my son uninstalled AMD graphics driver and it was offered in updates. I thought it was some kind of "Fix" to the driver, so I let it run and it went to black screen. So there are 2 instances of black screen: one that happens when AMD graphics driver enabled and another is with update. So now he has to go to safe mode, disable graphic driver, then boot in normal mode to try update again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
15 to 20 minutes on a black screen isn't normal on an ssd.

If GPU is a known problem that causes blank screens, why not remove GPU from pc and run monitor off the connection on motherboard while installing the update, and see if it gets past that stage. It could be the version update resets the devices in Device manager and tries to update it.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...s/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-280x

Astralv

Distinguished
15 to 20 minutes on a black screen isn't normal on an ssd.

If GPU is a known problem that causes blank screens, why not remove GPU from pc and run monitor off the connection on motherboard while installing the update, and see if it gets past that stage. It could be the version update resets the devices in Device manager and tries to update it.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...s/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-280x
Thank you for all replies.
Colif, you summarised what I was thinking. We disable that driver in Device Manager, do you think it trying to enable it?
Is it a hardware graphic card issue or Adrenalin driver? The graphic card works without this driver, so I assume- the hardware graphic card is ok. My son says- he can't play his games without the driver, something is not as good, but monitor is working when driver uninstalled.
Also it does not offer this update- it shows it under failed updates and there nothing I can click on to restart it and try again. Is there any way to make it try again?

Colif

Win 11 Master

The update is a version update. What that means is every 6 months there is a new version of WIn 10 released, and that would have installed it. So since its effectively a clean install, it likely enabled the device and then hit the blank screen.

Maybe uninstall the drivers before you run the update and see if you still get blank screen

Update: Since Microsoft release a New ISO everytime they release a version update, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. This is the update you are trying to get.

You could remove PC from internet while it installs as it should have a default driver that works with card.

Once you get USB, put it in his PC and in File explorer, navigate to the USB and run setup.exe and that should offer to update the current PC. Hopefully won't trip over the failed update but it shouldn't.

If you get through to end with no black screen, we check the drivers then

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS