[SOLVED] Windows update affects gaming performance - Microsoft rolled out emergency fix

Solution
D
If you really hate windows updates that much then you can use Linux I guess
Reactions: Bassman999

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can't make everyone happy.
Forced Windows Updates, things go south for SOME, but then seemingly everyone is raising pitchforks.
Don't force it, no one chooses to update, BAM! gate breach or whatever thus everyone's vulnerable, and back to the pitchforks.

I saw a thread yesterday from someone wanting to know how to completely disable Windows Update, 'cus they were tired of this crap...

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Can't make everyone happy.
Forced Windows Updates, things go south for SOME, but then seemingly everyone is raising pitchforks.
Don't force it, no one chooses to update, BAM! gate breach or whatever thus everyone's vulnerable, and back to the pitchforks.

I saw a thread yesterday from someone wanting to know how to completely disable Windows Update, 'cus they were tired of this crap...
Forced updates seem to go against owning the app and hardware affected by it.
Also not allowing you to install at a convenient time is my main gripe.
Just delay it for a couple of weeks if you're paranoid about things breaking, because high profile cases like this usually crop up within that time frame.
I didnt know this was an option.
Looking through update setting I couldn't find a way to do it

EDIT: Looks like I found a way to pause it, but not prevent it, and also tell pc my hours not to update.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, we don't actually own it... MS can do whatever they want with it as they please.
It's also in their TOS, which 99% of people don't read through, except under a lawsuit...

They tried giving users more freedom with updates... did more harm than good; way too many users out there are lax about their security, so now a few 'unfortunates' have to take the hit for the 'greater good'.

Maybe Microsoft should allow people to turn off the updates, but first show the following warning that must be accepted three times

By turning off updates you are putting your computer at a security risk and should anything happen to your computer or your data, we are not responsible. You're on your own.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Well, we don't actually own it... MS can do whatever they want with it as they please.
It's also in their TOS, which 99% of people don't read through, except under a lawsuit...

They tried giving users more freedom with updates... did more harm than good; way too many users out there are lax about their security, so now a few 'unfortunates' have to take the hit for the 'greater good'.
I know, but it still pisses me off the concept by many electronic companies that dictate how we use an item that we buy.
Maybe Microsoft should allow people to turn off the updates, but first show the following warning that must be accepted three times
Yeah, but it still pisses me off that they many companies sell you a product then control the use of it.
By turning off updates you are putting your computer at a security risk and should anything happen to your computer or your data, we are not responsible. You're on your own.
Im fine with that clause.
Obviously I want my PC and personal dats safe. But, I want to control when it updates and if it updates. Like this latest update. If I can wait till they iron out all the bugs and not stress over the GTAV issues for example, it would be better.

Reactions: Phaaze88
D

Deleted member 14196

If you want to turn off updates then install windows server 2019. All you have to do with server is shut off the updates service

Otherwise you have to do a lot of Squirrley things that just aren’t worth it on windows 10 so you may as well live with it because it’s not changing ever

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
If you want to turn off updates then install windows server 2019. All you have to do with server is shut off the updates service

Otherwise you have to do a lot of Squirrley things that just aren’t worth it on windows 10 so you may as well live with it because it’s not changing ever
Im going to look up the server differences.
I have a feeling there will be a few.

This issue is 100% correctable and preventable.
Microsoft just needs to throw a Hell of a lot more money and time at update testing. If they want to force updates onto their OS then they better well make sure that the updates cause absolutely no issues. If that means have tiers of updates that go through 18+ months of testing in beta and fast track circles then so be it. It will cost Microsoft more money in the short term but probably save them money in the long run. It can only benefit them to get out from under the shroud of the 'horrible Windows 10 updates' that they currently cower under. Of course, I'm not referring to security/critical updates as these need to be released ASAP but these kinds of updates are the least likely to cause issues.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
This issue is 100% correctable and preventable.
Microsoft just needs to throw a Hell of a lot more money and time at update testing. If they want to force updates onto their OS then they better well make sure that the updates cause absolutely no issues. If that means have tiers of updates that go through 18+ months of testing in beta and fast track circles then so be it. It will cost Microsoft more money in the short term but probably save them money in the long run. It can only benefit them to get out from under the shroud of the 'horrible Windows 10 updates' that they currently cower under. Of course, I'm not referring to security/critical updates as these need to be released ASAP but these kinds of updates are the least likely to cause issues.
Yes I agree, but they arent likely going to change anything.
They have a strong-hold on the market and have no real concern we will go elsewhere if they dont change unfortunately.
Yes theres Linux, but most of who use windows arent likely to switch.