Question Windows Update always fails to install

gamerfan01

Reputable
Apr 29, 2018
Hey all, been experiencing something odd, every time my pc tries to update Windows 10 it always fails (it gives the message that Windows Update failed to install).

It's been doing this for a while and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

jackstevens5

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
I have had the exact same issue and I contacted microsoft about it. What they have told me is there is a corruption in your windows files by a 3rd party app.

So what you can try to do is:

Download windows 10 iSO
Put it on a USB then make it bootable
Restart computer and then click repair on the bottom right (If I can remember correctly)

Give that a shot and see if that helps

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hey all, been experiencing something odd, every time my pc tries to update Windows 10 it always fails (it gives the message that Windows Update failed to install).

It's been doing this for a while and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

can you go to settings/update & security/windows update
click on View Update history
can you click on the link of a failed update and show me the web page that pops up describing what update does

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what build number are you on? Current ones are 1803 & 1809

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you look to see if you have KB4485449 installed in history as well? it shows in the how to get update link of that page that it helps to have that 1st -

Before installing this update

Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU and applying Microsoft security fixes. For more information, see Servicing stack updates.

If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU (KB4485449) will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Another option is, go here and click 1st link
that will download the upgrade assistant
run it, and instead of updating 1803, skip to 1809 now as you would need it soon anyway.

new update of windows might fix this problem. All version updates include previous updates.

D

Deleted member 14196

Installing major updates is a real problem with windows 10 and even suggest doing a clean install of the newest operating system and that’s the most reliable way to fix this problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
nope, didn't see the KB4485449 update in the installed history. gonna wait on the second option and see what we can do for now

click on the link you gave me, and look in How to get this update section
follow steps to get the missing KB and see if the update that keeps failing actually succeeds.

Avoiding 1809 only work for 1 more month or so as 1903 due out next month and Microsoft like to keep everyone on the at least the last 2 versions of windows as they don't officially support any older ones.

Installing major updates is a real problem with windows 10 and even suggest doing a clean install of the newest operating system and that’s the most reliable way to fix this problem

or wait 1 month and do that since clean installing a week before a new version released would be a waste of time :)

gamerfan01

Reputable
Apr 29, 2018
okay I got the download for the update and tried to install it, after a restart it failed again with the same message as before.

guess I can wait a month for the new version.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Damn MIcrosoft keep delaying it, I didn't know when I said that 3 weeks ago that they would stall it. I don't have any inside knowledge, it could happen anytime... probably when I least expect it. I have had 3 cumulative updates in last week and that is normally a sign something big is coming. As they try to fix everything they can before a version update, get everyone on newest drivers etc.

gamerfan01

Reputable
Apr 29, 2018
Its actually live now. Grab the 2nd link on this page - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 - to download the media creation tool. Make a new ISO and reinstall win 10

will do. and I hope this won't wipe my harddrive when I do the reinstall. Especially since now my themes option is corrupt (it freezes and closes whenever I try to go into the themes option. worse my desktop icons keep getting scrambled every time I reboot my pc)

D

Deleted member 14196

You would be better off wiping your entire hard drive and installing windows 10 clean so back up your data and do a clean install if the repair doesn’t work

Colif

Win 11 Master
I thought the entire point was to clean install. Updating a broken install isn't going to work well. Clean install and start fresh,

That means wiping C drive so copy anything off it you want to keep before hand. LOad into safe mode if your normal desktop is having problems and copy files from there.

you can also do this once you have an installer made:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Colif

Win 11 Master
one reason updates fail to install can be older drivers, so you could check your hardware and see if any updates that might clear way for patches.

try this if you haven't already -
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

have you run the windows update troubleshooter? its in settings/update & security/troubleshot menu