Question Windows update continues to replace AMD graphics driver with older version even after I updated to current ver

David1215

Prominent
Apr 15, 2022
How do I stop Win 10 (home version) from updating or should I say back-leveling my AMD graphics driver. I go thru complete removal of the installed version using AMD's removal tool (amdcleanuputility.exe) and then use the current AMD Auto detect and Install tool. Everything works fine for a few days. I can pull up AMD app from the start menu and then the AMD software will not launch with the following warning dialogue.

I understand this would be easy under Win10Pro but that's not what I have. Ideas??

Device name DESKTOP-M4VTQJ5
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.55 GB usable)
Device ID 64632054-186C-4398-A93C-065C01ACB650
Product ID 00325-96465-25591-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Thanks

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
should do the trick for you

you'll have to disable it, then remove the whatever is there now completely. and then install the one you want to put it all back right. but then it should not update again. i'll say the obvious though, this won't just be the AMD driver, but all drivers for the system that will not auto update

Apr 27, 2023
it does not . your windows 11 installs one , AMD driver . but your de facto driver is always what you install from AMd's own website , if you do factory reset and complete driver package install .

David1215

Prominent
Apr 15, 2022
So I followed the registry guide and made the changes which if I understand will keep windows from updating any of the drivers, is that correct?? Guessing there's not a way to single out one driver (AMD)? So going forward how do you suggest I check to see if other drivers require driver updates?

Surprised AMD doesn't have a solution. I stayed with AMD processors on my previous pcs for no particular good reason other than I thought the graphics might be better but I don't do any gaming or anything else to tax the system and I have usually had the "U" processors.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
give it a couple months and MS should update their site to include the update you want. change the registry back and see what driver is there when it updates.

if it's the new one, then you're good and can leave it as is. if not, then change the registry back, put the amd drivers back that you want there and give it some more time.

this will at least update everything else at the same time so at least they are new. (or at least new according to MS database)

other option is to manually update everything else every now and then. most of the time though, updating drivers is not needed unless something is messing up. otherwise, a driver that is a couple versions old is no big deal.