[SOLVED] Windows update creating new user profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astefy

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
Hello everyone!
I've had a strange thing happen to me after a recent windows update: windows created a new and clean user profile while not detecting my old one.

As my settings and files are still all there on the old one I'd like to restore it and delete the new one. How can I do that?

I can't seem to post a screenshot for some reason, but my user folder looks like this:
-User name (old user folder)
-User name.desktop-8v87XXX (new user folder)
-Public

It doesn't seem like a big issue but is quite annoying non-the less.

Thank you!

Astefy

Reputable
Jul 4, 2016
I have actually managed to find a solution!

Solution found here (from step 6)
Here's a quick guide on how I did it for the ones who'll search after me:
First you need to create a new admin account (Settings->account->family and other users
Then under other users click" add other user" skip the registering part and do a local account, set it up as an admin account.
Disconnect all other accounts and go into the new admin one.
While on the desktop do windows key+r and type in regedit.
Once en the registry editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
You should have several folders each one corresponding to every user on the PC. In those folders there's a file named ProfileImagePath, if you look on the far right you should see the path to your user folder.
Double click on the one you need to modify (the one windows created in this case) and replace the folder path with your old user folder path.
So for me, it went something like this:
"C:/users/User name.desktop-8v87XXX" transformed into "C:/users/User name"
Restart your PC and everything should be fixed, just delete the other accounts and you're good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.