Windows update downloading stuck at 0%

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015
Hello Guys,

I don't think this subject is uncommon....
I would like to know if you have any suggestions on the things I could try to get windows updates working.

Things you need to know: It hasn't been updated since 2014, it has over 250 updates (though I have selected 30 updates to download), it is windows 8.1.

It has been downloading and stuck at 0% for nearly 4 hours now.. Is there anything I could do?

Thanks,

Solution

Are you 100% sure some of those 34 don't depend on other ones not selected?

Close the updates, restart then use this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
to start an upgrade to windows 10 while the free upgrade offer lasts(end of june).
Winth 10 you will not have such issues.

USAFRet

Titan

Hasn't been updated since 2014....4 hours at 0% is not unusual.
Let it wait for a bit longer.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

I know but I only selected 34 updates so it's not like it is doing all of them at once, its been 5 hours now no change.

Thanks,

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Not really a solution to the problem but I guess I may go down that road as windows 8 isn't the best. I have Windows 10 on my home desktop and it is decent but for business use it is whack.

USAFRet

Titan

Are you 100% sure some of those 34 don't depend on other ones not selected?

Solution

Actually, it's the best solution, as you probably will end up doing it anyway. So why not do it while it's free?
Also, all this time you spend updating 8, is 100% wasted time.
And while some do argue for win 7, there are very few that do for 8, since basically 10 is a fixed version of it, just like 7 fixed vista.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Doesn't windows need to be up to date though?

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

I have just selected 19 updates now after a reboot as it appeared stuck and its now installing them so that could be it.. I will see in due time.

If you upgrade to 10, you don't need to do the 8 updates first. That's why i'm saying you are wasting your time.

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

I will upgrade to Windows 10 when I feel I need to, I will before July but I have no real need to. Windows 10 may be good but I have seen it mess up on two of my friends laptops..

Whereas 8 is perfect, right? Updates work flawlessly and whatnot.
ah, why do i bother?

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

Why are you getting salty for? Wtf? Your logic: I recommended something the person doesn't want to upgrade their system as they already have windows 10 and there's no point so lets be passive aggressive towards them. You gave me a semi solution, which I will consider on doing in the next month or two.

Also heads up, older laptops aren't as compatible with the new windows 10 especially with all the addins that come with it.

I've had a different experience with it on laptops. I'm not beeing passive agressive man, just tryin to help, in my opinionated sort of way. Peace!

Swagrid

Honorable
Aug 6, 2015

I guess, well I will upgrade before July anyway. Thanks for your input.