[SOLVED] Windows Update/drivers concerning unsupported (MS) OS

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
With support gone for Win 7 and back:

I haven't installed 7 since a few weeks before EOS. In particular one of the features I liked best about 7 was that it 'auto installed' at least most base drivers such that you had an operational machine at the end of install and of course aside from the network drivers it MIGHT have installed, lol.

Since that OS isn't supported, does it also mean that the Windows Update aspect is no longer operational, or will only install updates up to the last available at end of support?

Solution

I haven't installed 7 since a few weeks before EOS. In particular one of the features I liked best about 7 was that it 'auto installed' at least most base drivers such that you had an operational machine at the end of install and of course aside from the network drivers it MIGHT have installed, lol.

Since that OS isn't supported, does it also mean that the Windows Update aspect is no longer operational, or will only install updates up to the last available at end of support?
It should gather whatever the last batch was.

(Win 10 does the same was basic drivers)

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Yes, have installed both quite a few times, but hadn't done so since drop of support. IMO having the system install base drivers automatically for nearly everything you install it on within compatibility was a HUGE HUGE plus over what had come before. Just a basic working network driver alone. How many times did you have an issue with XP, re-install and be stuck with no internet?

I was just curious in that I have not worked with an out of support OS since XP and that's been a long time. I guess I have gotten soft in my old age but wasn't looking forward to having to hunt down drivers and such for a retro build I need to repair.

Thanks for the reply.