Windows Update - Error 0x80070643

SanguineAnarchy

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
I have had this issue for a while now - everything else listed in windows update will download and install just fine as far as I can tell; but I cannot seem to be able to download updates for the OS itself.

I keep getting this error: Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3106246) - Error 0x80070643

No matter what I do I cannot solve the issue.

I have tried;
Disabling my antivirus and other protection software (Comodo IS and Malwarebytes' Pro)
Repairing/reinstalling .Net framework.

Any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

[I wanted to attach my Dxdiag file - however I cannot seem to find an option to attach files; perhaps I need glasses]

SanguineAnarchy

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Thank you for your input, I tried both methods but to no avail.

Update: Even after a "Clean Boot" my system spends a couple of minutes looking for updates.

As soon as the update is found the error pops up.

Method 1 did find issues with the windows update components and said it was fixed, though the problem still remained.
So, I tried the second method, things seemed to be going flawlessly (in terms of stopping and restarting the processes/services).

However after restarting I still recieved the same error.

Legion93

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hmm.. the update relates to a .NET Framework update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/976982

This issue may arise due to following reasons:
Windows update components corruptions.
Third party security application conflicts.
Anti-virus conflicts.

You can try to run BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) troubleshooter and Windows update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

If you have installed any third party security application, I suggest you to temporarily disable it temporarily and see if it fixes the issue.

SanguineAnarchy

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I did the following (all in "Clean Boot" state - so I had no security software running or any other third-party programs running)
I've run the Background Intelligent Transfer Service troubleshooter and it found the follow issues and apparently fixed them;
- Some security settings are missing or have been changed
- Service registration is missing or corrupt

Checked windows update again - download seemed to be progressing well till it failed with the same issue.

Been a good few days now - sadly the issue is still persistant