Windows Update Error - 0x80246008

i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
or automatic.
can anyone help?

Hi

Please see if the following helps:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
>or automatic.
> can anyone help?

thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it working.
i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right click
BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the service status
is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that indicator i get a
message that says "windows could not start the [BITS] on local computer. for
more information, review the system event log. if this is a non-microsoft
service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
code -2147024894."

any ideas?

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following helps:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
>>or automatic.
>> can anyone help?

Hi,

Try setting BITS (background intelligent tranfer service) to restart on
failure. Run services.msc, locate BITS and double click it. On the recovery
tab, set the first action to restart the service.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it working.
> i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right
> click BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the
> service status is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that
> indicator i get a message that says "windows could not start the [BITS] on
> local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if this
> is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
> service-specific error code -2147024894."
>
> any ideas?

>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following helps:
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>>>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be
>>>manual or automatic.
>>> can anyone help?

Have you tried the recommendations listed here?
http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_883822.aspx

--
Ron Bogart {} ô¿ô¬
Associate Expert

In news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06,
TexasLegend <a@m.com> did some thinking and came up with these words:
> i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be
> manual or automatic.
> can anyone help?

it is already set to that value. thanks.

> Hi,
>
> Try setting BITS (background intelligent tranfer service) to restart on
> failure. Run services.msc, locate BITS and double click it. On the
> recovery tab, set the first action to restart the service.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>> thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it
>> working.
>> i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right
>> click BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the
>> service status is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that
>> indicator i get a message that says "windows could not start the [BITS]
>> on local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if
>> this is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
>> service-specific error code -2147024894."
>>
>> any ideas?
>>

>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Please see if the following helps: