Windows Update Error: Code 80073712

mrstat

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I've been receiving Windows Update Error 80073712 for the past few days now. I believe it was caused by me not being able to use my computer for ~5 months. I read that without using Windows Update for a long period of time, you will receive this error.

I tried several things to resolve this problem.

First, I used the basic Windows troubleshooter. When finished looking for errors, it said that it had fixed this error and that no updates were available. To make sure, I manually checked for updates, and I got this error again (so obviously the problem wasn't fixed as it said).

Second, I tried the Windows' recommend manual troubleshooting steps that had me type in DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
and
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
However, this didn't work either.

Third, I tried to re-install Windows 8 by inserting the disc into my computer and running Setup.exe, and clicking "Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation. I then entered my product key, and got the message the updates had been installed. I then had to restart my computer to finalize the process, but unfortunately, the Windows 8 installation process got stuck at 30%.

I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.