Windows Update Error [Error number: 0x800A0046] - solution..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I cannot use the Windows Updates feature. I get [Error number:
0x800A0046] and I have Windows XP Home Edition and here are the
solutions that Microsoft gave me to fix -

Method 1:
==========

Remove the user account that is experiencing difficulty from the Guests
or Limited account groups

Click Start, click Run, type control admintools, and then click OK.
Click Computer Management.
Expand Local Users and Groups.
Select Users.
Open the account that is used to access Windows Update.
Click the Member Of tab.
Select the user account that you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Method 2:
===========

Set the Security Descriptor
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type sc sdset wuauserv
D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU),
and then press ENTER.

You will receive a "Success" message.
Type Exit to close the command prompt.

Try Windows Update again.

Method 3:
===========

Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the Impersonate a
client after authentication policy
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Local Security Policy.
Expand Local Policies.
Click User Rights Assignment.
Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication
policy
On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then
add the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups.
Click OK, and then restart the computer.

As you will notice, methods 1 and 3 do not apply to Windows XP Home
Edition but rather to XP Pro. Method 2 didn't even work at all.

How can I fix this ?

--
Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)

"*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> I cannot use the Windows Updates feature. I get [Error number:
> 0x800A0046] and I have Windows XP Home Edition and here are the
> solutions that Microsoft gave me to fix -
>
> Method 1:
> ==========
>
> Remove the user account that is experiencing difficulty from the
> Guests or Limited account groups
>
> Click Start, click Run, type control admintools, and then click OK.
> Click Computer Management.
> Expand Local Users and Groups.
> Select Users.
> Open the account that is used to access Windows Update.
> Click the Member Of tab.
> Select the user account that you want to remove, and then click
> Remove.
> Method 2:
> ===========
>
> Set the Security Descriptor
> Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
> Type sc sdset wuauserv
> D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU),
> and then press ENTER.
>
> You will receive a "Success" message.
> Type Exit to close the command prompt.
>
> Try Windows Update again.
>
> Method 3:
> ===========
>
> Add the Local Administrator and Service accounts to the Impersonate a
> client after authentication policy
> Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
> then click Local Security Policy.
> Expand Local Policies.
> Click User Rights Assignment.
> Double-click to open the Impersonate a client after authentication
> policy
> On the Local Security Settings tab, click Add User or Group, and then
> add the Administrator and Service to the list of Users and Groups.
> Click OK, and then restart the computer.
>

> As you will notice, methods 1 and 3 do not apply to Windows XP Home
> Edition but rather to XP Pro. Method 2 didn't even work at all.
>
> How can I fix this ?

This newsgroup is read by MS staff:

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE