john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

I am getting this problem increasingly that more and more new pcs fail to
download windows update. All pcs are dell which come preinstalled with win
xp pro sp2 and are connected to an sbs2003 server. All internet connectivity
is fine and office update works fine too. The problem with windows update is
that the download box comes up but for each update it says "failed!". Tried
several times but the results are the same.

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Regards

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

John wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am getting this problem increasingly that more and more new pcs fail to
> download windows update. All pcs are dell which come preinstalled with win
> xp pro sp2 and are connected to an sbs2003 server. All internet connectivity
> is fine and office update works fine too. The problem with windows update is
> that the download box comes up but for each update it says "failed!". Tried
> several times but the results are the same.
>
> What is the problem and how can I fix it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

<crossposting removed>

You missed posting to the best group for your issue - windows update:

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

John, check at Kelly's
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select U and scroll to
Updates
"John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am getting this problem increasingly that more and more new pcs fail to
> download windows update. All pcs are dell which come preinstalled with win
> xp pro sp2 and are connected to an sbs2003 server. All internet
> connectivity is fine and office update works fine too. The problem with
> windows update is that the download box comes up but for each update it
> says "failed!". Tried several times but the results are the same.
>
> What is the problem and how can I fix it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Some suggestions:

Please re-register the following files:

regsvr32 msscript.ocx

regsvr32 dispex.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."

2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."

3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.

Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:

1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."

2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."

3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a

WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234