Windows update mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoaib Gazi

Reputable
May 25, 2015
i can understand about not encouraging piracy and that's what i said to him but my friend is worried about windows 10 updates.

now he said ,"there is no options for delay or stop windows updates in windows 10 home.and after windows updates system will be force to restart immediately."

is it true ? cause i don't think so but i am not sure.

please provide a confirm info about windows 10 updates.

Solution
First - I have always had my systems set to automatically update. I also manage patching of a large enterprise. We push out all updates automatically to all of our workstations.

With Home like the previous post you must accept the automatic updates. You can control the restart to some extent though.
With Pro and Enterprise and Education you can implement a WSUS or SCCM server and control which patches you want to deploy.

There is an official tool from Microsoft that will allow you to hide and block individual updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Please for the love of security and preventing yourself getting hacked install your updates. If there is a specific update or driver that is causing problems you can...

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
- On Windows Home you cant do anything. Youre forced. Looking a bit into the past with all those many problems updates had, that is a ticking time bomb.
- On Windows Pro you can delay the updates. Much better but still not enough for some people.
- On Windows Enterprise you have full control, like in earlier Windows versions.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
First - I have always had my systems set to automatically update. I also manage patching of a large enterprise. We push out all updates automatically to all of our workstations.

With Home like the previous post you must accept the automatic updates. You can control the restart to some extent though.
With Pro and Enterprise and Education you can implement a WSUS or SCCM server and control which patches you want to deploy.

There is an official tool from Microsoft that will allow you to hide and block individual updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Please for the love of security and preventing yourself getting hacked install your updates. If there is a specific update or driver that is causing problems you can use the tool I linked above to hide and block those updates. For example you want to roll back to older video driver.

Solution

Shoaib Gazi

Reputable
May 25, 2015

thank you very much
just one more little Q
how much time will i get for delay restart ? or it is the same as windows 7 ?

lol ''There is an official tool from Microsoft that will allow you to hide and block individual updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930''

notice the key word there in that page ''temporarily '' so you will except it eventually or something like it so it seems or it would not state ''
temporarily ''

windows 10, LOL got to be a joke

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I am not sure what the actual policy is. However, Windows 10 will schedule an automatic restart based on when it thinks you don't use your computer. You can adjust the restart time yourself. I would recommend that you don't delay the restart too long as the time between when the patch is installed and system is restarted may cause the computer to go some weird things. The restart will fix that though.

The scheduled and automatic restart times don't seem to be rigidly enforced either. I set my computer to restart at 12:30 PM. But the my computer was also downloading stuff so it did not restart are 12:30 PM. I instead restarting at 1:30 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.