Windows Update Not Showing Download Percentage

jh4n6

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I just purchased a new MSI laptop with Windows 8 installed. I tried to update Windows, but although the progress bar kept moving under "Downloading Updates..." in the Windows Update screen, it said that 0KB had been downloaded. I never recieved an error and waited a significant amount of time.

I thought maybe a restart would fix the issue for whatever reason. After doing so, the computer said that it needed to install some 36 updates. I allowed it to do so and then restarted. The updates seemed to be installed as there were fewer available to download, but now I am trying to download more and receiving the same message. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Solution
This time delete the entire download folder in C:\Windows\Software Distribution
Also how long have you waited? There seems to be others with the same problem and they wait for about 1 hour and the updates began to install.
Is there any error codes?

If that doesn't work, then restore back to factory defaults, or bring the laptop back and get another one.

jh4n6

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
The_Prophecy, I tried using the script you linked to, but I don't think it worked. The terminal just showed an endless stream of notation. I think I made out the world failure, but it moved too fast to read.

lp231, I was able to complete your instructions, but it seems to have no effect.

You have to right click the script and select Run As Administrator, if UAC is turned on. Otherwise it won't have permissions to do anything, giving you the errors you saw.

Run it again and see if it helps, as it also removes another folder that lp231 didn't mention (I believe the folder was called DataStore). If it still doesn't work, run this FixIt tool from Microsoft to repair the Windows Update components:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

jh4n6

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I did both, but the issue remains. The FixIt tool mentioned missing and corrupted files, although it said it fixed some problems, as well. I tried running it a second time, and it never finished. Should I perhaps just reinstall the OS and try again? I just bought this computer earlier this evening, so I'm a bit mystified as to why I'm having so many problems running simple updates. This laptop was an open box purchase. Is this perhaps a bad sign or do I simply not know what I'm doing (as evidenced by my failure to run the script properly)?

EDIT: I ran it again and got the same report. "Problems installing recent updates." "Not Fixed."
And "Check for missing or corrupt files" "Detected" (But with a hazard icon next to detected)

lp231

Splendid
This time delete the entire download folder in C:\Windows\Software Distribution
Also how long have you waited? There seems to be others with the same problem and they wait for about 1 hour and the updates began to install.
Is there any error codes?

If that doesn't work, then restore back to factory defaults, or bring the laptop back and get another one.

Solution

Kborch200

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I had this issue with my Windows 8 computer that I just purchased. The problem actually stems from the fact that the software is not updated it seems. There is a loophole, you can "control alt del" select the power button on the bottom right corner, it will give you an option to "update and restart." This will run the critical updates you need it takes about a half hour depending on your internet speed. From that point you can go back to the normal windows updater and it should work fine. Fixed my issue.

Twooggy

Reputable
May 8, 2014

I have a brand new MSI CR70 laptop which has a factory install from august 2013. Windows update did appear to be not downloading. I've resolved to WSUS offline update, installed a few updates with it and restarted. Then voilla, 81 updates to be installed, and several hours further. Still 15 updates remained after reboot and no download progress, all suddenly they begin to install. Hope this will be over when the upgrade te 8.1 is finished.

Thinkyoung

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Thinkyoung

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Kborch. By hank you so much. After trying everything rrasonable on Google and gsving local stores wanting to reformat I tried your fix and presto!!!! Can't tell you how helpful this simple fix is. Thank you!

coolblog

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
2 ways that i tried proof success:
1) The above mention by deleting the folders under software distribuition/download.
2) Under System & Security, go to Find and fix problems. Click the fix problem with Windows update.

freakqnc

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
In my case I ran the "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab" which took some 30 min to do its thing (with basically no feedback on what was doing throughout)... at the end showed a few errors were fixed but still had one error Windows Update Error x80080005.

Restarted. Stopped and Started again Windows Update Service.
Restarted again...
Download of updates started (some 60 updates!)

A totally random hit-or-miss after trying many suggestions from web searches without success. I hope the above will help others who found themselves in the same situation as I was.

PS: I would understand all these issues with an OS if it was free and open source (maybe), but for a commercial product Microsoft is truly selling a lemon and getting away with it. I spent far too much time fixing issues caused by the OS and it's appalling this product is still being sold!

Windows is truly a terrible OS and it proves it day in and day out. It would be dead if it wasn't already so spread out across the globe with regrettably no viable competitors (No, OS X isn't a competitor since requires Apple's hardware to run)... the day Apple will allow running OS X on non Apple hardware (probably never gonna happen), or a truly viable and stable alternative, easy to work with and allowing to run win32 programs (via transparent virtualization) that will be the beginning of the end of Windows. Hope to see it in my lifetime so my nephews and nieces won't ever have to waste a single minute of their existence because the people at Microsoft continue to do a deplorable job and their sub par OS continues to be sold for lack of alternatives.

Aleksei Czukanov

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

Aleksei Czukanov

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I am fully agree with your opinion regarding Windows Op system: a full shit. Apple does not allow to run their OS on other HW, since their system is: "1 HW - 1 firmware" (OS or IOS). O.K., there is 2-3 HW (2-3 iPhones) and 1 Firmware. However so they can guarantee the 95% "customization" of the Firmware for the given HW (even perhaps seems less "powerful/strong" in comparison with other HW configurations running Windows) and so they can ensure "smooth/flawless" operation (in iPhone "glacial movement"). All other OP System must "correspond" to "265.000 kind of iron" incl. no-name graphics cards, RAM-s, etc.

Apple puts together the things (I know, Steve Jobs also stole ideas from a lot of sources), but AS they put together, it is PERFECT: you should not always "restart" because of updates or because of "slowing down" of the machine. I switched off one of my Apple Macbook (I also have PC-s, laptops with Windows as well) JUST ONCE A YEAR. So I start to replace all my PC-s/laptops with Windows in my small firm with Apple OS.

freakqnc

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

Indeed... you must do what's best for your firm. Apple systems are most stable and they are top grade (used to be even more in the past) hardware. That doesn't mean they didn't have their failures here and there, from the antennagate of the iPhone 4 to swelling or exploding batteries, to macbook GPU failures (I personally fixed 2 units which apple refused to fix despite known recall failure...long story). But all in all I'd advise anyone to by an Apple computer if they can afford it and if they don't need to keep compatibility with specific software or hardware which would require a PC. Even then the solution might be to run Windows on a mac hardware using bootcamp although that too could be risky as I've personally experienced issues on mac pros where some windows features would not work as expected (like sleep/hybernate to name one).

That said, if window really wanted to keep compatibility it would be possible. Standards exists and any company that would produce hardware should have been required to receive certification from Microsoft before they could sell their product as being compatible with Windows. Microsoft appears to have started to go in that direction but then like most of what they've done recently, they lost their way... in fact when installing some drivers one would at time receive a warning about a driver not having a "certification" to be compatible with the current version of the system... but guess what, more often than not all the troubles I've had on Windows systems (my own and client's ones) it's not been caused by those "uncertified" drivers, but rather by OS updates.

I agree that as a system that is compatible with most of the hardware out there, there will be a high chance of experiencing issues... though what I do not accept as admissible is the releasing of major buggy updates that in more than one occasion required a complete fresh install of system, in other cases have caused loss of data. No commercial OS should ever cause either by careless release of half-assed updates. But the problems at Microsoft are much deeper than that albeit this isn't the right venue for such a debate.

Suffice to say that in my case the process I described earlier is what seem for some reason to have solved the issue with "Windows Update Not Showing Download Percentage" which is that this thread is about. If that helps others awesome... if it didn't help you, sorry to hear about that, hope you'll find a working solution that will allow you to move forward and finally stop wasting time on fixing OS issue and using that time to take care of business... it'd be nice if the OS one bought would prevent such time wasters in the first place, apparently that's never been a priority at Microsoft.