[SOLVED] Windows update problem

Solution
20H1 otherwise known as 2004 is meant to be out this month.
You are on the Feb update, MS haven't really been pushing updates out while the global crisis is on so you aren't really that far behind
You are on 18363.657 , I am only on 18363.778 - I doubt you missing anything major.

But main reason I mention new version is, it appears you would be best downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB once it is released (it could well be next week) and use that to update your PC.

Once ISO is out, make USB and put it in PC while windows is running
press WIn key + E to bring up file explorer
navigate to the USB and run setup.exe
this will offer to upgrade current install.
This will replace...
Right click your Start button and open "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". When prompted enter the following commands:

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv

These will stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and the Windows Update Service. Once these are stopped, go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Under the SoftwareDistribution folder, you should see a DataStore and a Download folder. Delete both of them.

Once these are deleted, go back to the PowerShell window and enter:

net start wuauserv
net start bits

Once this is complete, check Windows Update again and see if it continues failing. If it does continue failing, check to see how much disk space you have available, as this can cause issues with installing updates as well.

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Right click your Start button and open "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". When prompted enter the following commands:

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv

These will stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and the Windows Update Service. Once these are stopped, go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Under the SoftwareDistribution folder, you should see a DataStore and a Download folder. Delete both of them.

net start wuauserv
net start bits

Once this is complete, check Windows Update again and see if it continues failing. If it does continue failing, check to see how much disk space you have available, as this can cause issues with installing updates as well.
Is 32GB of free storage enough?

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv
net start bits

it failed again, i have 32GB of storge free, i just want to update my system

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are on the Feb update, MS haven't really been pushing updates out while the global crisis is on so you aren't really that far behind
You are on 18363.657 , I am only on 18363.778 - I doubt you missing anything major.

But main reason I mention new version is, it appears you would be best downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB once it is released (it could well be next week) and use that to update your PC.

This will replace your current win 10 install without replacing/removing any of your files. This should fix problem.

But don't do it now.

One thing you could do now is a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html as all that does is returns win 10 to default state of 1909 and removes all ccumulative updates. You would just need to install 5 or so updates after to be up to date again.

Solution
For anything that isn't a major version update (such as the 2004 update that is coming at the end of May), that should be plenty.

Another option short of the the repair install Colif suggested, is opening up the Settings panel and go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Windows Update. This will run the Windows Update troubleshooter which will try to detect and automatically fix the issue.

If this doesn't help, we can also try looking at the log files for Windows Update to get more information. To do this, right click your Start button and select "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". When the PowerShell window opens, enter the command "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" without quotes. This will collect and drop a copy of the WindowsUpdate.log file on your desktop. Post it somewhere like OneDrive or Google drive and link us to it here.

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

This will replace your current win 10 install without replacing/removing any of your files. This should fix problem.

But don't do it now.

One thing you could do now is a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html as all that does is returns win 10 to default state of 1909 and removes all ccumulative updates. You would just need to install 5 or so updates after to be up to date again.
shod i just download the ISO from the website, like wait a few weeks, maybe a month and then download it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download media creation tool now, the website you get it from should change at some stage to say its got the May 2020 update, currently says it has Nov 2019 one. Make installer once website changes as making it now will just give you 1909.

try this, it can't hurt

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Reactions: The_Prophecy