Hello

I have a problem with the Microsoft Update function. When it goes online
to search for updates it always says that "823559: Security Update for
Microsoft Windows" is available and ready to install. This is a
continuing repetition - I installed this update long ago and it appears
in "View Installation History". I have checked in the registry and
there is no reference to windows update.

I use Windows98 (not Win98SE), Firefox 1.0, Thunderbird 1.0 (relatively
new to both and loving them) and have IE 6.0 for windows updates, also
keep OE 6.0 for emergencies.

Can anyone tell me how to prevent this from continuing?

TIA

Regards
Echy
--
Regards from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
http://www.visitvictoria.com/

Hi Echy,

This is a WinXP group, not a Win98 group. Asking a question in the wrong
group can lead to misinformation. That said:

This is a frequent problem with that update and Win98. If KB823559 currently
shows in the list of Add & Remove programs (Control Panel), then uninstall
it.

Go to the Windows Update site and select the catalog option. If you don't
see it, add it using personalize. Select Win98 from the list of operating
systems, then locate and download KB823559. This is a standalone version, do
not "run from current location", just save it. Once the download is
finished, double-click the file to install the update.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi Echy,
>
> This is a WinXP group, not a Win98 group. Asking a question in the wrong
> group can lead to misinformation. That said:
>
> This is a frequent problem with that update and Win98. If KB823559 currently
> shows in the list of Add & Remove programs (Control Panel), then uninstall
> it.
>
> Go to the Windows Update site and select the catalog option. If you don't
> see it, add it using personalize. Select Win98 from the list of operating
> systems, then locate and download KB823559. This is a standalone version, do
> not "run from current location", just save it. Once the download is
> finished, double-click the file to install the update.

Thanks for the reply. Your advice solved the problem. Sorry for posting
in the wrong group - a slip of the finger - missed the rigjt group by a
whisker.

Thanks again.

Echy