Windows Update Service is always set to Disabled.

Glenn_37

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hello.. I wanted to try to update my Windows but when i do so it says "Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because the services is not running, You may have to restart your computer." When i check my Services the Windows Update is disabled and when i try to set it to Automatic and Start the services.. in a few seconds it goes back to Disabled / Stopped settings. greetings hope this is clear enough

Solution
Ok, so clearly you have not had success with simply enabling Windows update service, so I'd run both SFC Scannow and DISM repair tools.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

If neither of those operations corrects the problem, then I'd suggest you might probably more quickly resolve the issue with a clean install of Windows, than trying to solve the problem through further remedies.

Glenn_37

Prominent
May 21, 2017

I tried the windows troubleshoot already and it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"

Glenn_37

Prominent
May 21, 2017

Yes i tried to run the file you attached it says "An error occurred while trouble shooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting"

Glenn_37

Prominent
May 21, 2017

I don't get what you are saying

Glenn_37

Prominent
May 21, 2017

Yes, personal computer.. Been formatting, updating windows for years until i encountered this problem

Ok, so clearly you have not had success with simply enabling Windows update service, so I'd run both SFC Scannow and DISM repair tools.

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

If neither of those operations corrects the problem, then I'd suggest you might probably more quickly resolve the issue with a clean install of Windows, than trying to solve the problem through further remedies.

Solution