Windows Update takes forever to load???

G

I got a couple new systems recently, And loaded them with XP of course, and one of them updated fine, and took just under 8 hours to install all the updates after SP3, which I did on august 8th. The second system loaded XP, and I launched windows update, and waited, and waited, and waited, so I left it overnight, and when I woke up it was still at the "checking for latest updates for your computer" screen. This was on August 15th. And I KNOW this is not a problem with just my computer, we are reloading systems at school to re purpose them, and it took the first system 6 hours to find updates, on August 16th, we didn't get to the second system. I came home and retried my computer which is still at the screen after 2 days of sitting now. I looked it up and found that on August 16th, a shit load of people started having problems with Windows update for XP. Whats going on with this shit here?

G

That really doesn't answer any part of the problem. I have SP3 on a thumb drive, its whenever I manually launch windows update, and after I select "express" or "custom" option, I sit at the "checking for updates to your computer" for 4 to 29 hours (laptop finally decided to update).

typeguy

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

That is not true. Microsoft is continuing support and updates to XP until April 8, 2014. And even if NEW updates aren't going to be created there is no reason that the existing updates to XP shouldn't continue to be available.

G

Well its apparent that both the school's internet and our internet are complete shizzle. Ever since june, everywhere around here is having problems with the internet. Ours has been down for about 1 week every month(sprint 3g), and the schools is down at least twice a day. We're replacing some switches, its somewhat more stable at school now, but we're looking into replacing the cable modem there.(charter cable). Even the local pawn shop's voip phones and internet are erratic at best.

I think it's a microsoft update server problem as I'm having the same problem with this month's patches. It just sit there forever no matter which option I choose.

G

Its still acting finicky. I enabled auto updates, which installs updates whenever the hell it wants, but doesn't seem to take 8 hours to load :/

Bea8888

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
The reason is Microsoft are mean beggars and if they have not already, they probably will be, INTRODUCING viruses/worms/patches in their "updates" to try and FORCE people using XP to their, "upgraded", operating systems.