Question Windows Update Turned off (Windows 11)

Dec 24, 2022
How do u turn windows update back on? I was having a problem with video drivers, windows installing drivers, over AMD driver.. So I tuned that off and I have not been getting windows updates at all. The download and install is Gray. I tried to use Trouble shooter, windows fix, I tried, a few fixes I found on google, nothing. I tried changing the value, I think I may have deleted a registry Key in windows update. I have 2 keys listed under windows update, AU.. I also tried a windows rest, from restarting and windows update still does not work. I made a BAT file for system 32, of the registry back up from google, well, I could not get CMD To find te C drive, It showed as X, and drive X was not found or, c d e f or g. So I ran the batch file, and CMD opened, and it ran for a few minutes. Well, when It restarted, I was on my desktop and then, the desktop went Black, Mouse worked, but I could not open anything, nothing, said it could no find the desktop. So I restarted and then I did a system restore to a few days before I made a restore point. So that was that but back to trying to fix windows updater. The PC Is just a Hp with a, AMD Ryzen4700g Windows 11, BSOD Machine. That does not BSOD anymore, but just freezes then goes black, restars. Why I am in the windows update problem to begin, but That has to be my first step to this POS. Thank You! Ps. I will never by a Big Box Prebuilt PC again, just needed a desktop, after old, fx PC died got sires s then a x and a HP prebuild POS... Newegg or Microcenter, build me a beter one next.. That way be built right and I can select my parts and cooling and then not woory how much thermal past I put on, Took apart the FX CPU, Was not even enough past, figiurd right then and they, Nope, never again. Had the Coolermaster, block push pull on there, used the heatsink fans, even no case fans.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you should undo whatever it was you did to it in the first place. that is how you restart it.

however, it seems like you have messed with it so much that i'm not sure any of us could figure out what you did at this point, much less how to undo it.

you can try running "sfc /scannow " from an elevated command prompt and see if it can detect the changes and undo them.

otherwise, you will need a fresh install of windows.

it is possible that you can download a new iso through the media creation tool and then run the setup.exe file from within windows. select "do not save my files and settings" when prompted and it should put everything back as it is is out of the box. this is of course going to DELETE all your data and any customization you have in place. so back up EVERYTHING important first as it will be gone from the system.

Dec 24, 2022
you should undo whatever it was you did to it in the first place. that is how you restart it.

however, it seems like you have messed with it so much that i'm not sure any of us could figure out what you did at this point, much less how to undo it.

you can try running "sfc /scannow " from an elevated command prompt and see if it can detect the changes and undo them.

otherwise, you will need a fresh install of windows.

it is possible that you can download a new iso through the media creation tool and then run the setup.exe file from within windows. select "do not save my files and settings" when prompted and it should put everything back as it is is out of the box. this is of course going to DELETE all your data and any customization you have in place. so back up EVERYTHING important first as it will be gone from the system.
Damn, yea tried all the CMD Scans. and threw Tools and all the ways to scan.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i know it sucks. been there myself many times, but sometimes i just break something to the point where i can only start over. :(

in the future it is a good idea to take notes when you make any such changes. learned that the hard way long time ago. you google, try something, google again, try something else, install some 3rd party app and then forget what it was. a week later windows is so FUBAR there is nothing you can do and you have no clue how it got there.

i'd start backing up what you need to save and then try again. make some notes of what is installed that you need/use so you can put it back and back up any games from steam if you use it to avoid having to redownload those. you can boot to a usb drive and fresh install that way, or try the method i posted above. both will start you fresh.

How do u turn windows update back on? I was having a problem with video drivers, windows installing drivers, over AMD driver.. So I tuned that off and I have not been getting windows updates at all. The download and install is Gray. I tried to use Trouble shooter, windows fix, I tried, a few fixes I found on google, nothing. I tried changing the value, I think I may have deleted a registry Key in windows update. I have 2 keys listed under windows update, AU.. I also tried a windows rest, from restarting and windows update still does not work. I made a BAT file for system 32, of the registry back up from google, well, I could not get CMD To find te C drive, It showed as X, and drive X was not found or, c d e f or g. So I ran the batch file, and CMD opened, and it ran for a few minutes. Well, when It restarted, I was on my desktop and then, the desktop went Black, Mouse worked, but I could not open anything, nothing, said it could no find the desktop. So I restarted and then I did a system restore to a few days before I made a restore point. So that was that but back to trying to fix windows updater. The PC Is just a Hp with a, AMD Ryzen4700g Windows 11, BSOD Machine. That does not BSOD anymore, but just freezes then goes black, restars. Why I am in the windows update problem to begin, but That has to be my first step to this POS. Thank You! Ps. I will never by a Big Box Prebuilt PC again, just needed a desktop, after old, fx PC died got sires s then a x and a HP prebuild POS... Newegg or Microcenter, build me a beter one next.. That way be built right and I can select my parts and cooling and then not woory how much thermal past I put on, Took apart the FX CPU, Was not even enough past, figiurd right then and they, Nope, never again. Had the Coolermaster, block push pull on there, used the heatsink fans, even no case fans.
Just a thought.

Get in the habit of making regular backups....daily or weekly or monthly.
That gives you a fall back option when things go bonkers.
Yes you lose a little but that's much better than having to go back to the beginning and starting over.

Reactions: Rogue Leader