Question Windows updates are not installing/ uninstalling when I reboot

May 26, 2020
My windows will never completely install updates.
Said updates that will not install:
2020-01 Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems
2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64
2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems

To be clear, they will finish downloading, but when I shut down or restart my system, the blue windows startup screen will say could not install updates and uninstall them.
I have tried numerous solutions such as rebooting in safe mode(s) and other documented possible solutions but none have worked. This has been happening since late April if I recall correctly. I would be very grateful if I could find some help here.

e2

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Any error codes or warnings in Reliability History?

Look in Task Manager and particularly the Startup tab: anything unexpected or otherwise unrecognized being launched or attempting to launch?

I have the same issue with the recent ver 2004 update .
This system is mainstream and off the shelf .Never had an issue with any previous upgrade to and including ver 1909 . But the latest will not install.
The files download, "installing" takes its usual 20 minutes and the system reboots, (but sometimes not), yet once back to the desktop, windows 10 ver 1909 remains the OS. The error is described in Settings as " We could not install the upgrade but you can try again if you like. " I have, many times, using the upgrade method in Settings and the iso file from windows download.

It appears that not many users have this particular problem although the upgrade has created other issues once installed. I spent yesterday afternoon with a MS Tier 3 technician to no avail--We did everything he could think of including a few "out there" ideas, like updating the bios, but in the end he took all the logs, will go over them with his team and come back later . I wonder if the next Tier includes Bill Gates ?

The one useful item coming out of this, besides the new bios, is the method of installing of which I was unaware. The upgrade does not install automatically. It only installs if the user hits the " Download and Install" button. The system will continue just as well without it. Which is what I see as the future for this system until the next Feature Update comes along.