Question Windows updates went missing after failing

Jeremias

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
A few days ago, I suddenly got updates pending reboot, and Windows Update showed 5 of them, 4 were from AMD and 1 was from Realtek. As I was still busy with my work and didn't want to shut down my com, I just put it to sleep whenever I went to sleep.

Today, after I was finally done with that work, I went to Windows Update and found only 1 AMD update was there, the other 4 were missing. I restarted my com but I didnt see any configuring updates or whatever, so I went back to check Windows Update which told me something went wrong with the update. However, when I clicked the "Check for updates" button nothing turned up and all I got was the green check mark thing saying that Im up to date.

I went to check the WindowsUpdates.log using the PowerShell command as instructed, and I don't understand what I'm reading in the logs, but I see a lot of "FAILED [80246007] ISusInternal:: IsCommitRequired" which I assume can't be good.

Is my Windows screwed, or is it just expected behavior? I ran windows sfc but it didnt find any integrity violations.

Not sure if this is related, but my Event Viewer is filled with 100+ warnings/errors per day. While to my understanding most of these warnings/errors are benign, are there supposed to be so many each day?

Ralston18

Titan
What are those warnings/errors per day?

Any patterns, constant repeats, common factors?

Look in Reliability History. More user friendly and a timeline/graphical presentation.

And remember that you can right click any given entry to obtain more details/technical information.

Not always useful or informative but can be looked at.

Jeremias

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
What are those warnings/errors per day?

Any patterns, constant repeats, common factors?

I've only had this laptop for 3 weeks, but during the first 2 weeks or so (almost) everything was DCOM related (I think I got around 800 of them within the first 5 days), either "did not register with DCOM within the required timeout" or "____ permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID".

For the last week, the warnings/errors have been very diverse. I'm still getting alot of DCOM related stuff, but I'm also getting alot of AppModel-Runtime stuff stating: "Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows", Kernel-EventTracing stuff such as "The maximum file size for session "PerfDiag Logger" has been reached".
Other less common (and by less common its still ~5x a day) warnings/errors are Application Errors (most of them involve my nvidia display container crashing - although I've alr reinstalled nvidia drivers several times), ESENT, DNS Client Events, Kernel-PnP, Service Control Manager (showing nvidia services terminating with errors again), WindowsUpdateClient (but this seems to be for Windows apps like Gaming Services & Spotify etc)
Other warnings/errors seem to be non-recurring.

Look in Reliability History. More user friendly and a timeline/graphical presentation.

I don't see any critical events apart from a few NVIDIA Container stopped working (again), and one instance of Dolby's DAX API that stopped working.

I found that all of the 4 AMD and 1 Realtek updates mentioned in my post were successfully updated on 18th Sept (I'm guessing prob when I put my laptop to sleep it woke itself up to update?), but the strange thing is that one of these AMD updates (AMD - System - 2.89.0.59) listed as updated successfully on 18th Sept, was what I saw in my original post when I went to restart my com (and this was 19th Sept 11:45pm in my local timezone).

However, I don't see any records of any successful/failed updates after/near 19th Sept 11:45pm.

Ralston18

Titan
Corrupted files is my thought.

Ensure, as always, that all important data on the laptop is backed up and verified to be recoverable and readable.

Then run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

You can easily find other similar links with additional information, explanation, and instructions.

And just for the record: what Powershell command did you use?

E.g.:

get-wmiobject -class win32_quickfixengineering

Jeremias

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I've ran sfc a few times in the past few weeks when I first started seeing the insane amount of Event Viewer entries. I just ran sfc again and each time I've ran it, it tells me "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I just ran the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth commands in the CLI and both return "No component store corruption detected."

Is it time to do a clean reinstallation of Windows or should I just ignore it for now since my laptop still (kinda) runs fine

The PowerShell command I used to look at the WindowsUpdateLog was "Get-WindowsUpdateLog" https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-find-update-log/