Windows upgrade is not downloading, stays on "Please, wait" screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Astralv

Distinguished
I am attempting to upgrade 2008 laptop with Win 7 Pro. I click on the Win10 icon, it opens window with the list of why I should upgrade and "Upgrade Now" button. I click on it and it says, "Please, wait". I am waiting and waiting since last night and nothing happens. It said- my computer is ready for Win10, so what am I waiting for? It is not a high traffic- last night I upgraded another computer and it did not have to wait- it just went on to copy files and install. This one makes me wait. And wait. It been sleeping while I was at work but I try again and it still doing the same thing. It is possible that the other computer had Win10 already downloaded. This one is wireless, not hard wired- can it be that it can not download over WiFi? The internet is working on it. But should I keep waiting? is it an error? Did anybody see it before? It really is last evening I can do it. Does it mean- I should not upgrade? I have Win10 disk I made a year ago. The Win10 version on it is likely outdated- should I use it to install? Is there a place I can manually download Win10? Thank you.

Solution
3gb sounds about size of win 10. I thought you downloaded the media creation tool and was going to make a USB. or ISo. What did you do/?

Your CPU better than what I had, my CPU was only 2.40ghz and my HDD was a Velociraptor so I never got the speed of an SSD until last year... if only I had known. My PC could have lasted a few more years with one of those but I was constantly out of ram too, 3.5gb wasn't enough for me anymore. I didn't go 64bit as I had programs that didn't work in 64bit.

Now I have a PC that is probably better than I need. It will be a few years before 16gb of ram feels crowded, and my PC isn't even running at its fastest, its still fast enough for me. Only times I get any slow down is running an AV scan on my...

Astralv

Distinguished

I hear your concern and had the same concern. But the literature says that Win 10 supposed to be lighter on computer than Win 7 and easier on processor. The drivers do not scare me that much. The most important one for Lap Top is WiFi driver and LAN. If this works, the lap top can connect. This lap top was very expansive one, nearly custom built for me by Dell. I paid $1800 for it. Back in 2008, the SSDs were new thing and Dell was charging almost 600$ for 120 Gb SSD. This lap top has Core 2 DUO processor at 2.8 Mhz. At that time, 2.8 was unheard for lap tops. It was some Centrino technology to make processor super efficient. Even today many lap tops are at 1.3 Mhz clock. So theoretically it should be able to work. I can not remember if I added more memory- have to check. But I did put new Samsung 500 Gb SSD. There is no mystery in the computer- it is simple. Good processor, good SSD, enough memory is all it needs. The BIOS is old... There was a driver for keyboard that would help it light up. It works with update from Vista to Win 7, but I can not do "print screen" because it has some other function now. This is irritating. But Win 10 supposed to make most generic drivers from Win 7 and 8 included. My 2008 desktop that was upgraded from Vista to 7 to 10 works fine- no issues.

So you are right, it could be better not to upgrade. I waited to the last 2 days. Now it did the part of installation and put some files and folders on my C drive Because it is SSD, the space disappears very fast. Now I am not happy to have all the Win 7 AND all the Win 10 files. But I dont know how to get rid of Win 10 files to keep Win 7. I was told to delete everything under C/Windows/Software Distribution. I have many folders there- does not look like it is Win 10. Yet I have a folder called "Windows 10 Upgrade" and it is 3 Gb in size. So I would want to delete it but I dont know where else it put its tentacles like an octopus.

Colif

Win 11 Master
3gb sounds about size of win 10. I thought you downloaded the media creation tool and was going to make a USB. or ISo. What did you do/?

Your CPU better than what I had, my CPU was only 2.40ghz and my HDD was a Velociraptor so I never got the speed of an SSD until last year... if only I had known. My PC could have lasted a few more years with one of those but I was constantly out of ram too, 3.5gb wasn't enough for me anymore. I didn't go 64bit as I had programs that didn't work in 64bit.

Now I have a PC that is probably better than I need. It will be a few years before 16gb of ram feels crowded, and my PC isn't even running at its fastest, its still fast enough for me. Only times I get any slow down is running an AV scan on my CPU, the tfr rate can swamp my CPU.

Solution