[SOLVED] Windows vista caused my power supply to burn down?

alpitu21

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
Hi, i had a pretty old pc and i installed windows vista (cuz that's what it shipped with) and before windows vista i had windows 7 running on it. I was watching a movie with my mom then it randomly shat down. I tried to power it back on and it didn't work. I unplugged it from power cuz i got scared lmao. Some weeks later when my new laptop wasn't working, i powered it on again, this time making EXTREMELY WEIRD AND SCARY noises. I imediatelly shat it down and unplugged it. Later that day i powered it on again (with my hand on the cable ready to unplug it) and it booted to vista. I booted to bios and i saw that the temperatures were very normal, at like 20*. I booted it to windows and i tried to make a windows 7 bootable usb until it randomly shat down. I unplugged it and then it started smelling like burning. I had -1 ideas of what to do. i just panicked. Nowadays opening up my pc it doesnt smell like anything was burning(i am way too much of a pussy to power it on) but the power supply.. it smelt like burning. Did windows vista cause my psu to catch on fire? It worked 2+ years on 7 alright.

Solution
A power supply just delivers power. It shouldn't really be affected by what OS is running on the system, as the OS does not have any direct control over it.

What model of power supply is it? It might have just failed due to being a poor power supply.
A power supply just delivers power. It shouldn't really be affected by what OS is running on the system, as the OS does not have any direct control over it.

What model of power supply is it? It might have just failed due to being a poor power supply.

Solution
Aug 22, 2020
Hi, i had a pretty old pc and i installed windows vista (cuz that's what it shipped with) and before windows vista i had windows 7 running on it. I was watching a movie with my mom then it randomly shat down. I tried to power it back on and it didn't work. I unplugged it from power cuz i got scared lmao. Some weeks later when my new laptop wasn't working, i powered it on again, this time making EXTREMELY WEIRD AND SCARY noises. I imediatelly shat it down and unplugged it. Later that day i powered it on again (with my hand on the cable ready to unplug it) and it booted to vista. I booted to bios and i saw that the temperatures were very normal, at like 20*. I booted it to windows and i tried to make a windows 7 bootable usb until it randomly shat down. I unplugged it and then it started smelling like burning. I had -1 ideas of what to do. i just panicked. Nowadays opening up my pc it doesnt smell like anything was burning(i am way too much of a pussy to power it on) but the power supply.. it smelt like burning. Did windows vista cause my psu to catch on fire? It worked 2+ years on 7 alright.
Ok. i will tell you right now that an operating systerm (Windows vista in this case) would not overheat nor break a power supply. Its on the hard drive. Which sure is connected to the power supply BUT it only sends power to the drive and cannot go back to the power supply. I think you just should replace your power supply. Do not turn it back on until you have a new supply or until you have someone look at it. If it was smoking or making a burnt electronic smell that could be a fire risk. Do not boot or even try to POST the computer until you know its alright.

alpitu21

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
Ok. i will tell you right now that an operating systerm (Windows vista in this case) would not overheat nor break a power supply. Its on the hard drive. Which sure is connected to the power supply BUT it only sends power to the drive and cannot go back to the power supply. I think you just should replace your power supply. Do not turn it back on until you have a new supply or until you have someone look at it. If it was smoking or making a burnt electronic smell that could be a fire risk. Do not boot or even try to POST the computer until you know its alright.
I don't even have the pc anymore but thanks :p

TRENDING THREADS