Windows Vista Home Basic on Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
My new motherboard (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) arrives tomorrow and I need an OS to install on it. I am considering Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista Home Basic. Has anyone installed Windows Vista Home on an Asus motherboard?

Along with the Asus mobo, I am using an E6600 processor, a LitOn SATA DVD, an NVIDIA 7950GT graphics card and a WD 7200 SATA hard drive.

Thanks, Bill

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hi again,
Install XP Home :D

XP Pro is usually for Businesses. My wife used it on her home PC, and we had so many problems - in the end I got her XP Home and we have had no problems since!

Vista has not had one good write-up in the UK computer mags. Wait until Service Packs 1, 2 and 3 are out! (lol) :?

Seriously, wait till the bugs are out!

Windows Vista is in good shape, particularly if it is a new clean install. I use it and like it. It will be easier to install it now than to upgrade it later. Most of the problems have come from upgraded systems with residual junk on them. . If you are using basic recent parts, there should be no problems with drivers. Look on the parts support pages to see if there are vista drivers available. Vista makes good use of additional memory, get 2 gig.
XP pro adds networking functions that are not useful(but not hurtful) to the single home user. It just costs more.

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Many thanks all.. I installed XP Home on my notebook and there were no "ahem" activation problems.

31Computers,

I see you are in Windsor, England. My wife and I were in your neck of the woods last October. We started in Edinborugh, Scotland and made our way South to places like Windosr, Winchester, the Cadbury Factory and we also spent a day touring the isle of Wight. This was my wife's first trip to the UK but I have been four times. I have a good friend who is from Winchester.

Thanks again.

Bill

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I am glad you got your PC working OK.

Also pleased to hear You enjoy visiting the UK. You seem to have covered quite a bit of ground last Fall!

Kind Regards :D

Status
Not open for further replies.