Windows Vista HP Desktop stuck at black screen with blinking underscore

Mortomni

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Please help, I have important files for my school on my desktop. I was working on schoolwork all day and decided to take a break and play some Dota 2 with some friends and I bluescreened in the middle of the game. The pc restarted and started a chkdsk and looked like it got stuck on something for a few minutes. Then it ran through about 3000 lines all saying something along the lines of "inserting file number XXXX into line XX into file 9." sorry i don't remember the exact wording. Then at the end of that it said "an unexpected error occured" and restarted. Once it got past the blue HP splash screen it just stayed at a black screen with a blinking white _ at the top left of the screen. i restarted twice to see if it was a fluke but it kept doing it. So i went into HP recovery and ran the system tests for the HDD, the CPU, and the memory. They all passed 3 times. I really don't know where to go from here. I know it's an old PC but it's all i have other than this crappy windows 8 laptop with really bad specs. Please help, it's urgent!

system specs:
intel core duo 2.00 Ghz
wdc wd3200aajs-65ryao 375 GB
2 1gb sticks of ram.
Windows vista home premium 32 bit with latest service packs and updates.

Chazzmann

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
For under $15 (or talk to somebody at your school that fixes PC's) you can get a USB adapter that connects your hard drive to another (any other) computer. If the hard drive isn't really broken, you should be able to get your school files out of it.