Windows Vista Installation ERROR 1005

HZD73

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Compaq Presario SR5710Y Desktop
MCP61PM-HM (Iris8)
AMD Athlon X2 4450e
250 gb Seagate Sata HDD

Hard drive failed tried installing a new drive. Could not enter bios. Solved: Removed CMOS 2 minutes then replaced it. BIOS available. Detected the new drive. Proceeded to fresh installation of windows Vista using an HP provided set of recovery discs (3 disk set). The first installation stalled at the point during the process after the discs ran, where two folder icons are shown on the screen transfering files from left to right. Solved: Restarted PC: installation proceeded from that point to "completing installation" screen where the installation hung indefinitly. Attempted to solve by using forum: Suggested: remove a stick of RAM; as Vista has known issue with dealing with more than 2gb of RAM. Removed RAM and restarted installation. Disc 1:1 and 2:2 completed - Recieved error: 1005 on disc 3:3 and cannot continue with the installation. Windows is not installed on hard drive so I cannot access any windows tools.

Please help with this. Thank you.
Sean
PS: If this has been answered before I apologize but none of the fixes I have found so far has worked for me thus far.

Solution
You generally cannot use recovery disks to install a clean install of Windows without the recovery partition on the HDD, which is gone if the HDD is gone. You need a full installation DVD, and unless you have one you will need to get one.

RealBeast

Titan
You generally cannot use recovery disks to install a clean install of Windows without the recovery partition on the HDD, which is gone if the HDD is gone. You need a full installation DVD, and unless you have one you will need to get one.

Solution

HZD73

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

From the HP site: "Yes, recovery discs work with new hard drives. If they aren't working you may need to order a set from HP."
I have already ordered/received a set from HP. As i stated originally the first time I tried to recover/install the process worked all the way up to the Completing Installation stage which then hung up. After this initial partial success every time I try running the discs on disc 3:3 I get error 1005.
I want to thank you so much for you responses. Amazing site.
Sean

RealBeast

Titan
Using the recovery disks, do you have the bios boot order set to (1) optical drive, and then (2) HDD? If not, try an install after changing to that boot order.

It's been a long time since I worked on a Vista machine, but I recall some issue about the HDD being the same size as the original to use those disks to reinstall on another drive -- you might want to check with HP support on that question.