Windows Vista SP2 Hits Release to Manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if this explains the 382MB update last night. Christ, couldn't play more than a couple rounds of survival in L4D because of that :p

G

It's already on BitTorrent and file share at http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/04/28/download-windows-server-2008-and-vista-sp2-rtm-600218005/

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Wouldn't it be a bit ironic if Vista SP2 turned out to be more secure and crash proof (reliable) than Windows XP? Wasn't SP2 for XP a turning point for the O/S after all? I'd LOL at the Vista Naysayers...

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]Wouldn't it be a bit ironic if Vista SP2 turned out to be more secure and crash proof (reliable) than Windows XP? Wasn't SP2 for XP a turning point for the O/S after all? I'd LOL at the Vista Naysayers...[/citation]

Vista SP1 is already more secure, as reliable if the user isn't an idiot, and as fast or faster in most programs.

But that's not what anti-vista propaganda will tell you.

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
jeraldjunkmail i already thought vista was more reliable than xp, iv been running it for 2 or so years and iv yet to have a BSOD

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
That's (((IF))) the user isn't an idiot, The Dipper. People who are ignorant about computers/technology generally follow those who they think are more informed in those topics. Kind of like how the sky is falling and SUVs will cause the end of the world due to CO2 emissions.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]etrnl_frost[/nom]I wonder if this explains the 382MB update last night. Christ, couldn't play more than a couple rounds of survival in L4D because of that[/citation]
Nope, that was probably Office SP2. Vista SP2, as it says above, won't be out till sometime Q2.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
NO, Vista SP2 is out Q2, which means between know and a few more weeks.
Each Q = 3 months. Q2 = April / May / June. Expect Win7 in Q4 at the latest... like OCT so that the new PCs for Christmas won't be vista.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
@ Jude

Service packs are free. 7 will cost you another $100+. But your mentality is exactly what Microsoft is looking for. Someone willing to buy into the 2 year OS lifecycle.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]judeh101[/nom]What's the point of using SP2 when we can get Windows 7?[/citation]
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]@ JudeService packs are free. 7 will cost you another $100+. But your mentality is exactly what Microsoft is looking for. Someone willing to buy into the 2 year OS lifecycle.[/citation]

Some of us have upgraded to Vista and are also running SP1. I will update to SP2 when it comes out. For those who are still running XP and have decided to skip Vista, then Judeh does make a point. May as well wait for Windows 7. I for one do not like to buy OS's every year because I can't afford it. I waited for SP1 before I upgraded to Vista after running XP for a few years. I suppose if I had known that MS was going to release a new OS so soon after, I would have waited also. I had some issues early on with older hardware as many did, but I've upgraded some of that hardware and Vista seems to be running very well. I was contemplating the upgrade to 7 but I'm going to wait and see how much it's going to cost before I decide to take the plunge.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]judeh101[/nom]What's the point of using SP2 when we can get Windows 7?[/citation]
It's almost the same thing. vi$hta SP2 is RTM, $even is RC1 - what a nice coincidence, isn't it?
The difference is, you just have to shell more $$$ out, for the $even craze.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004

The money? Why pay for a new OS when you have a perfectly good and working one? The fact that it isn't out yet? Of course, you probably meant that you can download a leaked RC version of 7 which is reserved for MSDN and Technet, but not everyone at Tom's is a pirate (unlike some might think).

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Vista SP1 was a big improvment. It made Vista what is should have been from the start. It is still slower than XP in a few things and IE 8 sux compared to IE 7. I wish they had a try it before you install it policy. Rolling back IE has always sucked. I use Opera instead. But over all I think Vista is fine. I formated my dual boot to xp a several months ago now. I dont see the big deal with Windows 7. It seems exactly the same as Vista to me. I noticed it installed faster but thats all I noticed. I haven't even logged into it in a month.

icedeocampo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
[citation][nom]average joe[/nom]Vista SP1 was a big improvment. It made Vista what is should have been from the start. It is still slower than XP in a few things and IE 8 sux compared to IE 7. I wish they had a try it before you install it policy. Rolling back IE has always sucked. I use Opera instead. But over all I think Vista is fine. I formated my dual boot to xp a several months ago now. I dont see the big deal with Windows 7. It seems exactly the same as Vista to me. I noticed it installed faster but thats all I noticed. I haven't even logged into it in a month.[/citation]

why pirate? it's a free legal download from microsoft... technet or no technet

Status
Not open for further replies.