Windows Vista SP2 Now Available for Download

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably not on the bleeding edge of OS software myself, but I don't see anything listed in the key updates list above that means anything to me. Windows searches faster? Okay, fine. But I never search for anything, since I know where I put it all. ;)

Blu-Ray recording built into Vista? Sure, but I've never even had luck with using Windows to record ANYTHING to a CD or DVD so far, so I stick to aftermarket software anyhow.

Bluetooth update? Do many folks really use Bluetooth on their desktop? (I can see some relevance with Notebooks here). Easier Wi-Fi configuration? I never really had a problem there either, so I'm not to excited there.

UTC time stamps, not something I've needed either I guess. But then again, my PC is for personal gaming. So I'm doing file syncs with other PCs.

Wonder what other fixes are built into SP2...

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'll let everyone download SP2 for the next month before I even attempt to install this latest service pack. Let's see if there are any glitches.

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Are those all of the updates or some because I didn't see any updates on that list that apply to me enough to make me actually log onto vista and try it out. I think I'll just continue with W7 RC for now.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Does anyone even use Windows Search? I remember activating it on XP once and my computer ran like crap. I guess my Win 7 computer is using it by default, but I wouldn't know because I can't remember the last time I had to perform a search on my desktop.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Windows Search is awesome, now. I have everything pretty organized in its own subfolder of a subfolder of a subfolder in a folder in a drive, but most of the time, especially if I don't have a desktop shortcut listed to the file, it's much quicker to just open up the start menu, type the first 3-5 letters in the search box, and pick from the drop down.

That said, I've also found the find feature within folders works very well. Bring up a list of images from a camera, for example, and I can search by "kris" to get all the pictures for "Kristen" to pop up. Cut, paste into new folder. No CTRL, SHIFT, or CTRL+SHIFT, etc.

I dunno. Maybe it will make it faster, but it's damn fast as it is....

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]beaulieu80[/nom]So glad SP2 is out!! Hope ill have a more stable Pc with my Asus P5N-T Deluxe board from it.[/citation]

Its not just those stupid things. Important security updates are installed and SP2 bundles all that for people purchasing a brand new Vista box.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Isn't SP2 supposed to include DirectX 11? Am I missing something here?[/citation]
not 100% on this, but I think that's a Win7 thing for when it officially launches this fall/holiday.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Omg fail I quoted the wrong person and I can't edit.

Anyways my above message was meant for "jerreece" and his quite "noobish" comment

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I still want a BR player that works! I got Cyberlink with my BR drive and I had trouble controlling some movie menus, some movies wouldn't play in it, and DVD playback was weird... some scratched discs would play in WMP and WinDVD but Cyberlink would crash the system when trying to play it. I bought WinDVD after the trial (trial doesn't play BR but played DVDs beautifully) well pretty much the same issues as Cyberlink although maybe a little less frequent. I don't think people would complain of monopoly if Media Player/Center could play BR (properly of course)

[citation][nom]beaulieu80[/nom]So glad SP2 is out!! Hope ill have a more stable Pc with my Asus P5N-T Deluxe board from it.[/citation]

Thats your motherboard, not your OS causing issues - Nvidia for you.

[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I'm probably not on the bleeding edge of OS software myself, but I don't see anything listed in the key updates list above that means anything to me. Windows searches faster? Okay, fine. But I never search for anything, since I know where I put it all. Blu-Ray recording built into Vista? Sure, but I've never even had luck with using Windows to record ANYTHING to a CD or DVD so far, so I stick to aftermarket software anyhow.Bluetooth update? Do many folks really use Bluetooth on their desktop? (I can see some relevance with Notebooks here). Easier Wi-Fi configuration? I never really had a problem there either, so I'm not to excited there.UTC time stamps, not something I've needed either I guess. But then again, my PC is for personal gaming. So I'm doing file syncs with other PCs.Wonder what other fixes are built into SP2...[/citation]

What service pack ever gave any new ground breaking features?

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Windows seach is awesome but I wish the start menu search and the control panel search concided. Try typing partition in start menu then in control panel in vista or 7.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rocket_sauce[/nom]not 100% on this, but I think that's a Win7 thing for when it officially launches this fall/holiday.[/citation]
Vista is getting DX 11 aswell. What I had read said it was coming with SP2, but I suppose it will release for Vista around the time Win 7 does.

Odd thing is, dxdiag on every Windows 7 version says DirectX 11.

gomobo75

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Installed the minute it came out on my wife's PC for testing. So far so good. I didn't notice any performance improvements on normal use, I am waiting for her verdict in a few days. I'm running 7 myself so...

Status
Not open for further replies.