Windows Vista to Windows 7

Calvinxc

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
I'm thinking of upgrading my vista to 7

Here's some questions :-
  • ■Can i use Windows Update to upgrade vista to 7? (like windows 7 to windows 10)
    ■Can i use Windows 7 iso to upgrade? Link : http://www.pcsteps.com/45-download-windows-7-iso-legally-free/
    ■If the above question is yes, can i use my vista's product key to activate win7 (a sticker under my computer)
    ■If the above question is no, what should i use for upgrading my windows vista?

Note : I'm not going to custom install Win7, just upgrading vista to 7

Solution
No, you can't upgrade to Windows 7 via Windows Update - that method applies only for the free upgrade to Windows 10
for existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 users.

The Windows 7 ISO download is only for users who already have a valid Windows 7 Product Key but didn't get a disc (or they lost it).

No, you cannot use your Windows Vista Product Key to install Windows 7.
You must purchase a new Product Key & licence.

Since Microsoft is no longer issuing Product Keys for Windows 7, your only option is to purchase a retail Windows 7 disc from online retailer such as Amazon. It will be supplied complete with a genuine product key & licence.

However, be aware that stocks of Windows 7 are now dwindling fast since it's already been replaced...
No, you can't upgrade to Windows 7 via Windows Update - that method applies only for the free upgrade to Windows 10
for existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 users.

The Windows 7 ISO download is only for users who already have a valid Windows 7 Product Key but didn't get a disc (or they lost it).

No, you cannot use your Windows Vista Product Key to install Windows 7.
You must purchase a new Product Key & licence.

Since Microsoft is no longer issuing Product Keys for Windows 7, your only option is to purchase a retail Windows 7 disc from online retailer such as Amazon. It will be supplied complete with a genuine product key & licence.

However, be aware that stocks of Windows 7 are now dwindling fast since it's already been replaced by three later versions. You have really left it late in the day to be thinking about upgrading to Windows 7, you should have done that several years ago when Windows 7 was the current version and readily available everywhere.

Solution
one note of warning..if your pc an older dell or hp look into to see if there bios will let you upgrade.some of the pre built pc dont have updateted bios and wont let you upgrade to the newest os. you see this often is oem laptops. you want to make sure your pc has the min ram needed to run the os (2g). any less and it going to run slower then your old os. with a pc that running vista..it looks like it time for a replacement. at some point it not worth trying to shoe horn a newer os onto very old hardware.

TRENDING THREADS