Windows Vista Upgrade to Win 7 crash no BSOD

devildog4

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
I recently upgraded my computer to windows 7 ultimate and it works a lot better from what I had, but since the upgrade my computer has been crashing a lot. I know that you'd usually get a BSOD with a error code of some sort but for some reason when it crashes I get this weird series of repetitive patterns on my screen. The crashes happen quite often but the weird thing is if I use Firefox or do anything on my computer it crashes in like 5 minutes, but if I play video games like Battlefield 2142 or Counterstrike soruce I can play for hours without it crashing, and once I get off of the game to do something it goes back to crashing again. Im not sure if I need anything for my computer, its pretty old. Here are the specs. If its the hardware it would be appreciated if you can recommend anything low budget for an upgrade :p. Thank you

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01775858#N190

Processor : AMD Sempron LE-1250
Hard drive: 320 GB
Video card: Nvida intergrated 6150LE
Ram: 3GB
Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra5)

Can you be more precise about what happens when it crashes? You see a "weird series of repetitive patterns." I'm guessing this persists until you reboot?

If you did an in-place upgrade (that is, not formatting but doing an upgrade install) you may need to update the drivers (specifically video driver). The hardware there obviously isn't high-end, but I'm assuming you don't have much put away for upgrades. Diagnostic tests are available for memory (ex, memtest86+) though memory issues would usually be more random.

devildog4

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
A new problem just persisted when I start up. When it starts its extremely laggy, if I click anything explorer.exe basically fails on me, and like I said, if I do anything its guarenteed to crash. I check task manager and the highest thing taking up the memory is SCVHost at around 45,000k which is normal for my comp. When it crashes , uh lets say im on toms hardware, the website is white, when it crashes ill see a streak of white thats repeated like a pattern and it goes across my entire screen. I did a memory diagnostic test and it found no problems, I also updated my Nvidia driver and the problem persisted. The only way to basically use my computer is if im playing a game which is very weird. Also my internet wont even start up when its on normal mode, and half my services are stopped and wont restart.