Windows Vista x32 bit BSOD GPU Related

Pipos Petre

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
First of all greetings! This is my first thread on this site.For the past month I have been getting BSOD's with the error ATIKMPAG.SYS file, accompanied by screen flashes, grey square pixels arranged like a checkboard all over the screen.My GPU is a Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 4830 and I have it for about 3-4 years now working without a hitch.No overclocking,drivers up to date.About a week ago I had mannaged to fix this BSOD for a while after a clean Windows install, setting power options in Control Panel to balanced performance.I played Aura Kingdom, Crysis 2, other programs in the background without a flaw.I thought i had solved it but the problem has appeared again.I don't know what else to think of and the lack of funds makes it impossible for me to buy a new card.Here is a list with what I have done so far to narrow things down and make it less frustrating for anyone who thinks they can help:

-Cleaned Card of dirt/dust (word of note I have noticed the thermal paste on the gpu was dried)
-Applied new paste(Arctic Silver 5 on the gpu, when my PC is idle temps are around 33-35 degrees C, when gaming they are 45-55 degrees max.
-Cleaned Fan all pc components
-Atimkdag/Atikmpag expanding sys file.
-Installed a few driver Ati CCC versions did not help
-Found the BIOS for my GPU,flashed it.
-Added Tdr delay values to registry, no go
-Attempted seppuku (lel)
-Ran Furmark and the card goes Ditto in about 1 minute, odd?
-Took out ram's one by one, no go
-Memtest is ok
-Card has been tested on another pc, same screen pixels
-Psu is 420 W

I have a few logs from WhoCrashed, here they are:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 5.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

computer name: ALEX-PC
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 1, 6.0, build: 6001
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: G31M-S2C , Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G31M-S2C
CPU: GenuineIntel Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2145140736 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2048966656

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 2/22/2014 8:29:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini022214-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x7AD76)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF86E71510, 0xFFFFFFFF8835486E, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sat 2/22/2014 8:29:20 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF86E71510, 0xFFFFFFFF8835486E, 0x0, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/22/2014 8:27:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini022214-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF8485B008, 0xFFFFFFFF8835186E, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sat 2/22/2014 8:17:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini022214-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFFFF8489C510, 0xFFFFFFFF8834A86E, 0x0, 0x2)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Pipos Petre

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
terry4536

Will try now the guide at your link will post results.Just now I have played the online game without any BSOD's.

smorizio

This card has 4-5 years warranty I think.Sadly I cannot find the box that came with it so I cannot confirm that.

Pipos Petre

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Update:I have tried to instal as provided in the guide but for the love of god could not go past step 9(deleted the video related stuff by Ati and kept chipset).It kept saying the driver already present is up to date.I have installed the new driver without CCC by asking to choose a driver from the signature driver list, adding the .info file located in my latest driver directory.Will provide another update if BSOD or anything else appears.

Pipos Petre

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Update:Did installation this time as provided in tutorial, ran PC for a whole day without any BSOD or artifacts.A little while ago they started again.Will provide a picture with my PC screen when it will happen again.

Pipos Petre

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Update:A bit odd but I managed to make the GPU working properly by installing my graphic driver as you posted the first time + increasing voltage to my FSB with easytune.