[SOLVED] Windows volume will perpetually scroll down to 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2022
There is some bug or bad driver that will start pulling my audio slider for my speakers down to 0 with seemingly no trigger.

I have uninstalled the Realtek device in device manager and restarted to let windows reinstall the drivers. I have unplugged both my keyboard and mouse while the problem persisted, I'm assuming my hardware is not the problem. I have set up windows to "do nothing" in the sounds settings under communication. I have turned off sound enhancements. I believe I have ruled out my web browser (turned off mediakeys in firefox). I use discord but I have attenuation set to 0 to turn it off.

The crazy part is this problem will be intermittent and doesn't have any defined trigger that I have found yet. The problem will also disappear at a whim while I'm messing with my audio settings with no clear solution to this problem. Any and all help is welcome.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 12, 2015
Oh joy, a problem that only happens sometimes. They can be harder to figure out that a constant problem.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

All it does is stops non Microsoft programs running at startup, easily reversed.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of weeks. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I had something similar recently but it was my volume scroller on kb was stuck down, I had to unplug KB to get it to stop. I know that isn't case here, but I seen this happen a few times in last few weeks.

Jul 23, 2022
To any and all that come across this thread, I have seemingly fixed my issue for the time being.

Funny enough, the problem went away the day after I posted this thread asking for help and would resurface about 3 weeks later in a different fashion. This time around though, only Windows related menus would scroll down automatically without any input.

To fix my issue I used the DISM repair tool using Windows command prompt. Remember to run as administrator.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image?view=windows-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY